Bjork'Family Tree' (Boxed Set)

Elektra

Grade: A+

Bjork has been given a lot of titles in her decade-spanning career, most of which compare her to otherworldly creatures. Her cult-like fan base refers to her as a "goddess." The international hit, "It's Oh So Quiet," left listeners and critics alike describing her as a "pixie-elf." Her third album, "Homogenic," was so inventive that she was called "alien," and its successor, the whispery and mysterious "Vespertine," earned her the label of "winter spirit." Clearly, the Icelandic singer-songwriter has an interesting career to look back on. With "Family Tree," a collection of songs from throughout her career, Bjork does just that.

The organization and flow of "Family Tree's" six disks represent Bjork's career so well that the songs contained therein could have been selected only by the ice sprite herself. The first five disks are short, containing about five songs each, but are amazingly precise and cohesive. They break Bjork's career's down according to her musical influences: The first two CDs are titled "Roots," the third "Beats," and the last two "Strings." The sixth disk is a full-length greatest hits collection with songs selected by Bjork herself, in contrast to her recently released "Greatest Hits," which featured songs chosen by her fans on her website, www.bjork.com.

"Roots 1" explores Bjork's rise to success, including her work before, and throughout her time with the SugarCubes. "Gloria," a touching flute solo penned by Bjork at age 15, shows the roots of her delicately emotional delivery. Bjork displays her signature vocal acrobatics on "Ammaeli," an Icelandic version of the SugarCubes breakout single, "Birthday." The powerful and raw songs of "Roots 2" mark Bjirk's vocal evolution, especially on the elegantly passionate "Generous Palmstroke" and the emotional "Joga."

The organic and sensitive songs of "Beats" are undoubtedly the high point of "Family Tree." Bjork has used subtle beats throughout her career, especially on "Homogenic" and "Vespertine," to inject elements of passion and mystery into her work. Here, some of Bjirk's electronic productions are presented independent of her signature strings. A remixed version of the strange "The Modern Things" from her second album, "Post," is given new life. The driven "Karvel" and the exuberant "I Go Humble" enthrall listeners, letting them wind down with the soothing "Nature is Ancient."

Bjork performs sans beats with the Brodsky Quartet on the two "Strings" disks, stripping the electronica and percussion out of some of her most popular hits in favor of more complex string arrangements. The first disc's highlights include "The Anchor Song" and the mysterious "Hunter." The second disc integrates elements of tango into the dynamic "Bachelorette." The amazing reinterpretations of "Strings" make Bjork's 10-year classical training especially salient.

"The Greatest Hits as Chosen by Bjork," ties up the loose ends of the first five discs. With these twelve songs, the vocals of "Roots," rhythms of "Beats" and orchestrations of "Strings" are integrated into the eclectic mix that made Bjork a cult success. An especially remarkable inclusion is the powerful radio remix of "All if Full of Love." Such unforgettable opuses as "Hyper-Ballad" and "Pagan Poetry" also made the cut. The true virtue of "Greatest Hits," however, comes from the inclusion of such eccentricities as "Scatterheart" and "You've Been Flirting Again." This pair of songs gives the album a mellow feeling that balances the excitement of her more popular hits.

"Family Tree" is a masterpiece that maps out the career of one of today's greatest musical artists. Having cleaned out her closet with this release, Bjork is about to move on to bigger and better things. The future work of the Icelandic nature spirit will undoubtedly amaze fans for years to come. But, in the meantime, enjoy a special glimpse into the mind and past of the most interesting woman in the music industry.