Both administrative policy and student opinion indicate that Brandeis is a relatively inhospitable environment for smokers. A report by the American Lung Association (ALA) indicates that smoking is most prevalent among people between the ages of 18 and 24, with 27.9 percent smoking. A 1998 study, reported in the Los Angeles Times, showed that college smoking had risen 28 percent from 1993 to 1997.

But, according to a recent poll conducted by the Justice, Brandeis students have a predominantly negative attitude toward the habit. Out of 666 voters, 86 percent said they did not smoke, and a majority specifically defined it as "disgusting."

Brandeis changes approach to smoking
Despite, or perhaps in reaction to, the upward trend in the number of college smokers, Brandeis has implemented a more restrictive policy toward smoking during the last decade. Assistant Dean of Student Life Alwina Bennett explained that approximately 10 years ago, Brandeis University President Sam Their began a two to three year movement toward restricting both the sale of cigarettes and the areas designated for smoking.

According to Bennett, Their was prompted by frequent complaints about smoking in residence halls. Around that time, Residence Life conducted a survey of participants in the housing lottery on their views towards smoking. The results indicated that an overwhelming number of students were uncomfortable with smoking in their dorms. The results of the survey and an acknowledgment of a lack of sufficient ventilation led Residence Life to ban smoking in residence halls. The measure was first enforced only in freshman dorms but the policy was eventually extended to upperclassmen as well.

Bennett said she correlates the anti-smoking sentiments on campus with the emergence of information about the dangers of second-hand smoke. She said the
consequent changes in policy were essentially triggered and enforced by students, adding they were a "result of what the students want."

Their continued to expand the restrictions on smoking and declared the interior of all buildings on campus smoke-free. Dean of Student Life Rick Sawyer recalled some of the areas where smoking was allowed, including "lounges in the student center, lobby areas of Spingold, athletic facilities and private faculty offices." A designated area in the Boulevard was the most prominent place for student smoking. According to Bennett, this area was made smoke-free mostly due to student complaints. She said as a result of non-compliance, some students were referred for judicial action.

To be consistent with the policy of smoke-free interiors, Sawyer said Their made the decision to "refrain from making cigarettes available for sale on campus. The bookstore was asked to discontinue selling, and the vendor at the time was asked to remove all cigarette machines." Bennett said Their was "shocked that we were selling cigarettes on campus," and deemed it "irresponsible" on the part of the administration.

While many colleges also have explicit restrictions on smoking in campus buildings, the policies are often more lenient. For example, Tufts prohibits smoking only in most buildings. New York University allows smoking in offices and sets aside designated smoking areas. Harvard also has designated smoking areas and allows smoking in private offices with an independent ventilation system.

Current policy elicits mixed student opinion
A prevalent force behind the decade old change in Brandeis' smoking policy was student opinion. Today, many non-smokers say they support the current regulations. Kate Brophy '06, a non-smoker, said "people should have a right to smoke, just not at the expense of other people's health or comfort."

Gabe Reif '04, also a non-smoker, said "students here pay nearly $30,000 a year, and should have the choice to avoid cigarette smoke." Bennett said "it is no longer socially acceptable to smoke indoors, and whenever the rights of smokers and non-smokers conflict, the rights of non-smokers are supreme."

Arven Saunders '05, a smoker, said he is sympathetic to the preferential treatment of his non-smoking peers. "Some people don't smoke and you have to respect their feelings." Although he pointed out the ease of adapting limited areas of residence halls to the needs of smokers, Saunders said, "It's not a big deal. Smokers can just go outside," facetiously adding, "I guess they tend to be lazy."

Leo Dorfman '04, also a smoker, said, "while I'm not thrilled by Brandeis' smoking policy, I can understand the reasons. From what I understand, insurance is lower for non-smoking dorms as they are less likely to ignite." But, like Saunders, he too expressed some discontent. "Some people consider the 20 feet from the building rule a license to be rude to smokers and that is unacceptable," he said. "There are enough smokers on this campus to warrant some sort of facilities to make smokers more comfortable, especially in the winter."

Attitude towards the habit of smoking
According to Sawyer, as in "all of America at one time, smoking was pretty much tolerated and accepted (at Brandeis)." Due to an increase in medical information and health consciousness, Bennett said that now, "smoking has become less socially acceptable. While a lot of young people are still smokers, only a handful of people identify themselves as such."

Statistics from the ALA support these assertions. They indicate that smoking rates among all age demographics have steadily declined since 1963, when evidence that smoking poses health risks began to circulate, until the 1990s. The total percentage of smokers in 1990 was 40 percent less than it was in 1963. Since 1990, however, overall smoking rates have remained virtually unchanged.

The Justice poll demonstrated similar results. Out of 576 voters, an overwhelming majority of 80 percent said they felt smoking today is considered less 'cool' and peer pressure is less 'strong' than it was five to ten years ago.

Our attitude towards smoking is not only different from that of other generations, but also from that of other countries. Irina Ivanushkina '05 said "In America, smoking is more taboo than in Europe, and it shows because smoking is socially looked down upon." Dan Fogelman '03 studied abroad in Paris and noted that "it is not frowned upon there like it is here." But he added, "it is only a myth that everyone smokes in Europe."

Bennett said that one explanation for the prevalence of smoking in other countries is a lesser emphasis on public health concerns. In reference to his native Turkey,
Saul Helera '06 said, "while information about health risks from smoking is available there, people are not as conscious of it as they are here."

The Justice poll indicates that health concerns are the most common reason for not smoking. Out of the 553 student voters, 57 percent said it was why they don't smoke.

The opinions of many non-smokers in Brandeis voice the declining toleration of smoking particular to our country and our generation. Len Pader '05 said, "smoking is gross, and I don't understand why anyone would do it." Max Levavi '06 specified that "smoking by women is very unattractive." Josh Raffel '06 said he strongly objects to anyone smoking, adding that "because the government is forced to pay for anti-smoking advertisements and for health care caused by smoking, cigarettes are undemocratic." Jonathan Silverstein '06 went even further,and said he believes that cigarettes should be illegal.

Other sudents, like Sharon Lewin '05, take an opposing view, defending the rights of students to "do to their own bodies as they please." Ivanushkina also expresses
discontent at intolerance towards smoking. "For all our obsessiveness about health, there are many things that people do which aren't healthy -- like drinking -- yet they focus on smoking as the great evil which is unfair to those of us who like it."

Despite the wide range of perspectives on smoking, the issue seems to have caused very little animosity between individuals or groups on campus. "Smoking in general is not a very big issue here," Reif said. Aaron Gorodetzer '03 said "smoking seems to be no more or less prevalent here than elsewhere in the U.S., and people generally accept it how it is." Jonathan Schwartz '06 sums up the atmosphere on campus by pointing out that "Brandeis is all about mutual respect, and smokers and non-smokers alike generally uphold this spirit by honoring the wishes and rights of others around them.