Upon conclusion of the review it launched on Sept. 9, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released a statement on Tuesday, reporting its conclusion that the issue of the Dakota Access oil pipeline warrants “additional discussion and analysis.” Proponents of the pipeline cite the creation of construction jobs, increased energy independence in the U.S. through more production of crude oil and an expected boost for the economy as reasoning for their support. However, members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and climate activists protest the pipeline as a cultural and environmental threat. What do you think of the Dakota Access pipeline, and how do you think the USACE should proceed?

Dr. Sabine von Mering (GER)

I fully support NoDAPL. We must honor our treaties and prevent all gas pipelines. Remember the Native American saying: “When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned — only then will we realize that one cannot eat money.” We are perilously close to that future. The Washington Post wrote on Thursday: “The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal.” 2014 was the hottest year on record. 2015 beat that record by a mile. 2016 is on track to beating that record, yet again. Scientists agree “beyond a reasonable doubt,” according to reasonablescientists.org, that our greenhouse gas emissions are to blame. We must stop all new fossil fuel infrastructure projects to prevent worse climate chaos. We must stand with Standing Rock, especially as a climate denier is moving into the White House and putting a “climate criminal” (Greenpeace) in charge of the Environmental Protection Agency.
Dr. Sabine von Mering (GER) is the director of the Center for German and European Studies. She is also the volunteer coordinator of the statewide steering team of 350 Massachusetts for a Better Future.
Iona Feldman ’17

The Dakota Access Pipeline embodies the worst of the fossil fuel industry’s power in the world today. As we live in an era of escalating global climate change, any new fossil fuel infrastructure threatens all life on this planet. But this project also represents a direct continuation of the destructive settler-colonialist exploitation of this continent, at the expense of its indigenous population. For months now, the Standing Rock Sioux have defended their lands through direct action, calling on supporters from across the country to join them. I earnestly hope the USACE will step back and stop pushing this pipeline through indigenous land. But ultimately, I do not expect them, or any other government organ, to ever fully come to terms with their own direct role in perpetuating capitalism colonialism. Trusting the state will never be prudent; we must continue to support the frontline resistance in whatever way we can.

Iona Feldman ’17 is a member of Brandeis Climate Justice and Brandeis Students for Justice in Palestine.
Savannah Bishop ’17
In our country’s current political and social turmoil, it is clearer than ever that being able to understand someone’s motivations does not mean condoning them. The short-term benefits of increased jobs and energy independence are significant but, in my opinion, less important than the long-term environmental ramifications this pipeline presents. The chance of an oil spill is certain: Even with new pipeline technology, you need only look at such examples as the Permian Express pipeline, which spilled 8,000 barrels, or the Keystone pipeline, which spilled 14 times in its first year, or any of the other multitudinous pipeline-spills. Considering long term cultural, environmental and economic value, I believe the USACE should stop the Dakota Access oil pipeline project. Beyond personal beliefs, the USACE has halted the pipeline and supported the rights of “Americans to assemble and speak freely,” urging “everyone involved in protest or pipeline activities to adhere to the principles of nonviolence.” Please make your voice heard, not so loud as to speak over your fellow, Americans but softly enough that you might change someone’s mind.

Savannah Bishop ’17 is an Undergraduate Departmental Representative for both Classical Studies and Anthropology. She is also a Classical Artifact Research Collection intern.

Sagie Tvizer ’19
The Dakota Access pipeline represents the fundamental tension which exists between the desire for economic advancement and the sanctity of Native rights. It is near undoubtedly true that the pipeline would create jobs and make the U.S. more energy independent. However, these are insufficient to warrant the violation of Standing Rock Sioux Tribe rights. First, the pipeline could be constructed on land which is not sacred to Natives and create the same jobs. Regarding energy use, creating an efficient model of oil transport may mean that we could use more American oil, but this comes at the cost of green energy development. Rather than developing the infrastructure for environmentally deplorable energy use, we should be investing in renewable energy. With this in mind, the purported benefits of the DAPL are negligible or actively harmful at best. Thus, the rights of the Sioux people should be the preeminent consideration of the USACE.
Sagie Tvizer ’19 is the vice president of finance for Brandeis Academic Debate and Speech Society.