The women’s soccer team struggled during a tough road week against ranked University Athletic Association opponents, falling 2-0 to Washington University in St. Louis on Sunday morning and 2-1 against the University of Chicago on Friday night.

WashU 2, Judges 0

WashU got on the board in the 15th minute to give the team a lead it would not relinquish. Slick passing led to an easy deflection that was buried into the back of the net. Neither squad was able to convert upon opportunities for the rest of the half.

WashU was able to give themselves some breathing room when they knocked in another score in the 66th minute. The home team had plenty of chances to score throughout the game, while the Judges could not muster much of an offensive attack.

Brandeis was outshot by an incredible statistic of 31-3.  

Chicago 2, Judges 1

The No. 8 Judges were narrowly edged by the home team, ranked No. 11 in the nation. The loss snapped the squad’s 13-match undefeated streak.

Both teams struggled to find offense in the first half of play. The Judges went into the intermission fortunate, however, as they were outshot by Chicago 9-2. They had their best opportunity early in the 13th minute when defender Michaela Friedman ’17 had a close shot stopped by the Chicago goalkeeper and a follow up attempt that was that was kicked away.

The first goal of the contest came early in the second half during the 52nd minute mark. Junior forward Mia Calamari hit the crossbar of the goal from the right side of the 18-yard box. The ball bounced right to junior defender Kaitlin Price who sent her first goal of the season to the back of the net.

Chicago extended its lead to two later in the 68th minute of the game. Sophomore midfielder Jenna McKinney was able to sneak it past Judges goalkeeper Alexis Grossman’s ’17 near post from about 12 yards out. The score was McKinney’s eighth of the 2016 campaign.

The Judges attempted to make a late push to escape the road trip to Chicago with at least a draw. Midfielder Haliana Burhans ’18 had the chance for a one-on-one opportunity with the Chicago keeper in the 77th minute. Off of the assist from defender Hannah Maatallah ’19, Burhans was able to slot it past the keeper to lower the deficit to only one goal.

The squad tried to push play for the final ten minutes to even the score, but failed to do so. For the contest as a whole, the Judges were outshot 16-6 by the home team. Grossman tried to do her best to combat the offensive attack from Chicago, recording six saves on the day.

The 13-game unbeaten streak had been the longest for a single season in the program’s history. The team will next be back in action Wednesday on the road at Westfield State University. They will then have two home games, Friday and Sunday, against Emory University and the University of Rochester, respectively.