It was a tough week for the women’s volleyball team as they visited Medford, Mass. for a trimatch with Tufts University and Colby College. The squad fell to Colby before being shutout by the Jumbos. 

Judges 0, Tufts 3

The Judges suffered a 3-0 match shutout to Tufts as the Jumbos dominated on their home court, winning 25-4, 25-20, 25-20. After an early exchange of points in the opening set, the Jumbos gained a 14-2 lead, largely due to a thirteen point-long streak. The streak ended, but the set did not get much better for the Judges, as they lost it 25-4. The second set was closer, with many lead changes. In fact, the score was tied ten different times. Unfortunately, when the score was tied at 20, the Judges committed two unforced errors, which paved the way for the 25-20 set win by the Jumbos. The third and final set was a blend between the first two; the Judges were unable to tie the score, yet they kept the pressure on and the set close, staying within six throughout the set’s duration. 

Judges 1, Colby 3

In their earlier match, the Judges fell to the Colby Mules 3-1 by a score of 22-25, 25-23, 25-20, 25-17. The Judges got off to a fast start, keeping the momentum for a 25-21 first-set win. Tied at 21-all, the Judges took a lead thanks to two errors from Colby. Kills from outside hitter Jessie Moore ’18 and middle blocker Maddie Engeler ’16 sealed the deal. The second set opened up similarly to the first set. Libero Yvette Cho ’19 served five straight points, winning two with service aces, to give the Judges a 10-9 lead. The score remained close throughout the set. The Mules’ powerful kills proved to be too much as they took the second set 25-23.  The third set opened up with the Judges leading 13-8, with middle hitter Zara Platt ’19 setting the tempo with an impressive kill. After a timeout, the Mules took control, tying it up. The set went back and forth before the Mules went on a 9-2 run to win 25-20. In the fourth set, the Mules capitalized on their strong finish in the prior set, winning 25-17; they held a significant lead for much of the set. 

Statistically, Brandeis was dominated almost across the board by both Tufts and Colby. The Judges had significantly lower hitting percentages in both matches, even having a -.045 percent against Tufts. They were also outdone defensively. Tufts had 9.0 blocks compared to the Judges’ 2.0; Colby had 10.0 blocks, while the Judges had 4.0. 

On the bright side, both the Judges and the Jumbos had 5 aces, but the Judges actually led the Mules in aces 6-5.

The standings have not been kind to the Judges, but their potential shines through. With strong play and bright moments from first-years, including outside hitter Grace Krumpack ’19, setter Marlee Nork ’19 and middle hitter Kirsten Frauens ’19, this midseason experience should be instrumental in the building of a new era of Brandeis volleyball.Looking ahead, the Judges (3-15, 0-3) will travel to Cleveland for more University Athletic Association action. They will look to improve on the past week in the season’s second UAA Round Robin, squaring off against the University of Rochester, No. 1 Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Chicago.