Correction appended.

The University has changed cable services and now uses Xfinity On Campus, a new streaming service that allows students to watch live television from their computers, tablets and smartphones in addition to their televisions. Director of Community Living Tim Touchette announced this change in an email to the student body on Sept. 11, and the system officially went live on Sept. 15.

The switch from the Comcast Analog service came about for several reasons, Touchette wrote in an email to the Justice, including an expiring contract with Comcast Analog, as well as student complaints and “real shortcomings” with the former system.

The new system also gives students the option of signing up for premium channels for an additional $10 per month, such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, a sports entertainment package and an international channels package. Touchette declined to comment on the cost of the Xfinity program in comparison to Comcast Analog.

The Xfinity On Campus system allows students to stream live TV in high definition on any internet-enabled device, though it is only available on the Brandeis campus, and cannot be used off campus. Traditional cable is still available in the dormitories, according to Touchette, but the University will eventually investigate phasing out the old analog cable service in the future.

In the last week, Xfinity has hosted several roll-out events for the new system in the Usdan Student Center, Sherman Dining Hall and Ridgewood Quad. These events included raffles and prizes for students who signed up for premium packages.

“The response [to the new Xfinity system] has been overwhelmingly positive,” Touchette wrote in his email to the Justice. “In fact Comcast executives said this was one of their best most successful roll-outs to date.” He also wrote that due to its success, Comcast representatives will be returning to campus on Oct. 7 to host a pizza party in Ridgewood Commons with more raffles and giveaways.

A previous version of this article stated that the pizza party in Ridgewood Commons will be held on Oct. 11. It will actually be held on Oct. 11.