The University has created a new position in the Provost’s Office, titled V.P. for Diversity and Social Inclusion, according to the Provost Office staff listing on the Brandeis website.

In an email to the Justice, Provost Lisa Lynch wrote that subject to budget approval, “the plan is to launch a search [for the new position] in consultation with the next president after she/he is selected.”

The position description will be based on the detailed work that was done by the Provost’s Steering Committee on Campus Diversity Issues last year.

Depending on the outcome of the search process, the position may be titled vice provost, vice president, or senior vice president, wrote Lynch.

Meanwhile, Lynch wrote in the email, the Provost’s Steering Committee on Campus Diversity Issues is “planning events and supporting activities” for the upcoming year to “advance social inclusion and support diversity at Brandeis.”

Neither Lynch nor Bill Schaller, the University executive director of integrated media, responded to multiple requests for further information about the position’s formation or responsibilities by press time.

Many other colleges and universities have several diversity-related positions that are either in the Provost’s Office or in other academic spaces or departments at the school.

For example, Tufts University has a chief diversity officer who is also an associate provost, and New York University has a vice provost, an associate vice provost, and an assistant vice rovost all with diversity in their titles and responsibilities.

Brandeis adopted a “diversity statement” in 2006, which, among other things, says that Brandeis “aims to engage members of our community as active citizens in a multicultural world.”

The diversity statement also notes that the University actively “seeks to build an academic community whose members have diverse cultures, backgrounds and life experiences.”

The Provost’s Office does include a steering committee on campus diversity issues, which is “designed to increase internal capacity to serve as effective stewards for diversity at Brandeis,” and includes faculty, staff and students.