Last Friday, University President Frederick Lawrence announced his resignation. Lawrence will step down in June and depart for Yale University, where he will be a senior research scholar and a teacher. The president began his term nearly five years ago on Jan. 1, 2011. Notable events during his tenure include the reopening of the Rose Art Museum and the Linsey Pool , the cessation of the University’s partnership with Al-Quds University and the Ayaan Hirsi Ali honorary degree scandal. In a campus-wide email, Lawrence noted, “Applications have surged to an all-time high, our endowment had grown to its highest point ever, and we have made significant progress in balancing the University’s budget.” What qualities should the University consider when searching for the next President?

Sneha Walia ’15

I think the search for our University’s next president poses a very interesting moment for the student body. There is a lot related to the office of the president that students have become increasingly aware of over the course of the last couple of years—the impact of fundraising and capital campaigns in plans for Brandeis’ present and future, the importance of administrative response in times of campus controversy and the role of administrative access and support in creating a positive campus culture. From the Union perspective, we are working to ensure that there is strong student representation on the search committee for our next president. This could pose a useful opportunity for students to advocate for areas of interest, such as the University’s commitment to diversity, both in the student body and in the administrative make-up, or ongoing transparency to students about the priorities and progress of the integrated strategic and financial plan. I think the most we can hope for of a president is to have someone who can effectively balance financial imperatives while consistently keeping the University’s values in mind. Visions for a brighter future should never impede progress and equity in the present, and we certainly believe that those can both be accomplished. As a student, I certainly would like to see a president who can both excel in fundraising and financial needs and meaningfully connect to the present campus community in a way that empowers student involvement and raises morale overall.

Sneha Walia ’15 is the president of the Brandeis Student Union. 

Rachel Hirschhaut ’15

I, for one, am sorry to see President Lawrence leave—especially since he came in with my class (the Class of 2015) and he’s leaving with us. As someone who’s been involved in the Jewish community, where he spends the holidays with us, I know he’s filled a unique niche on campus. I think our next president needs to be someone who has his best qualities and more. We need someone who’s warm and approachable on campus, someone who brings the various groups of Brandeis together as one community and makes this campus a more cohesive place. They have to be someone who’s all about innovation and working to make Brandeis even better and someone who has the vision to start new programs like the ones that students created during President Lawrence’s time.  

Rachel Hirschhaut ’15 is a member of Baruch board, a member group of Hillel. She is also a news staff member at the Hoot and the secretary of STAND. 

Glen Chesir ’15

Institutions of higher learning—Brandeis being no exception—are so often chock full of idealistic thought. Students are pushed to think not about how things are, but about how things should be. In that same vein, my answer focuses on the quixotic possibilities of 'what if.' Imagine, if instead of fundraising potential, a University president was judged on his impressive record of academia. Imagine if our next president was judged on his ability to both lead and unify the greater Brandeis community, instead of his ability to mitigate the seemingly perpetual public relations fiascos. And just hypothesize for a moment the notion of an academic giant in his field of study, a person whom Brandeis can be proud to feature as their emblem of scholastic achievement, not merely a president who knows enough Jewish residents of the state of Florida. What a day that would be. 

Glen Chesir ’15 is the managing editor of the Justice. 

Eli Phillip ’15

Brandeis University is an institution based in values of social justice, critical thought and open dialogue. The fundamental importance of student voices grounds these values and drives Brandeis’ vision. President Lawrence’s decision to suspend the partnership with Al-Quds University ran counter to student wishes and the essence of our university. I would like to see our next president respond to the needs of the student body rather than to outside pressure and lead Brandeis with conviction toward a vision which realizes its stated commitment to dialogue and social justice. 

Eli Phillip ’15 earned the Davis United World Scholarship in conjunction with Catie Stewart `16 for their program “Brandeis University--Al-Quds University Student Dialogue Initiative.”