The Baseball Writers’ Association of America elected four players to the National Baseball Hall of Fame last Tuesday, enshrining pitchers Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz and second baseman Craig Biggio in Cooperstown.

Each of the three pitchers selected easily surpassed the necessary 75 percent of votes needed in their first appearance on the ballot.

Johnson, known as the “Big Unit” for his six foot, 10 inch frame, got 97.3 percent of the vote. The left-hander, a 10-time All-Star and co-MVP of the 2001 World Series, was one of only three players in Major League Baseball history to win the Cy Young Award in both the National and American Leagues.

Johnson is best known as a member of Seattle Mariners, which he was a part of from 1989-1998, and the Arizona Diamondbacks, the team he was traded to in 1998 and remained with until 2004. 

Johnson finished his career with 303 wins, the fifth-most of all left-handers in MLB history, and 4,875 strikeouts, the second-most of all time behind Nolan Ryan.

Martinez, commonly referred  to by his first name, spent seven years of his 18-year career as a member of the Boston Red Sox and helped bring the city its first title since 1918 by winning the 2004 World Series. 

Martinez threw seven innings of shutout baseball in Game 3 of the 2004 World Series and retired the first 14 batters he faced in the game, en route to a victory.

Martinez received 91.1 percent of the votes from the writers, bolstered by his three Cy Young Awards and 117-37 record with the Red Sox. 

In a press conference following the announcement, Martinez attributed his success to his pitching style.

“I was very aggressive,” Martinez said. “I consider myself a power pitcher with some finesse added to it. I’m very happy that I’m going in with this group. 

“I was very precise with my mechanics. My legs were the ultimate dictator to my success and power. I didn’t have the height and strength. I had to do a lot of exercises to maintain my shoulder and remain in the big leagues.”

Smoltz will join former teammates Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine in the Hall of Fame after garnering 82.9 percent of votes. 

The 21-year veteran was best known for his time with the Atlanta Braves, during which he shuffled between the starting rotation and closer role out of the bullpen. 

Smoltz is the first pitcher in MLB history to accumulate at least 200 wins and 150 saves, ending his career in 2009 with 213 victories and 154 saves. 

Though he was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in 1985, Smoltz was traded to the Braves as a minor leaguer and spent all but one year of his career with Atlanta.

Biggio got 82.7 percent of the votes in his third year on the ballot, getting in after missing the requisite 75 percent by two votes last year.

The second baseman spent his entire 20-year career with the Houston Astros and joined the prestigious 3,000 hit club in his final season, ending his career in 2007 with 3,060 hits. The seven-time All Star also won the Gold Glove for best defender four times.

Catcher Mike Piazza, considered one of the best hitting catchers of all time, got 69.9 percent of the vote in his third year on the ballot and should be a lock to get the call next year after getting 62.2 percent last year and 57.8 percent in his first year in 2013.

Legendary Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciparra tallied only 5.5 percent, 30 votes, in his first year on the ballot and is in danger of falling off the ballot next year. 

Players need a requisite of five percent of the votes to remain on the ballot from year to year.

— Avi Gold