Imagine a playground—but not one containing the familiar bright yellow slides and blue monkey bars on a sand-covered ground. Imagine a playground that doubles as a piece of art. The new art installation “Swing Time” is just that playground. Commissioned by the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority, “Swing Time” sits in a formerly abandoned parking lot, filling up the space between the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center and D Street in South Boston in an area called the Lawn on D.

The Lawn on D, according to its website, is “a first-of-its-kind outdoor interactive space.” “The Lawn on D is an experimental event landscape that brings together different communities, audiences and area residents for innovative programming and events in the epicenter of the Innovation District and South Boston neighborhood,” the website reads.

The space opened at the beginning of August and will remain available to the public for 18 months. Lawn on D will see a variety of art installations, but “Swing Time” is its first and will remain on view until Oct. 31.

Created by award-winning architects Eric Höweler and J. Meejin Yoon of the Boston-based Höweler + Yoon Architecture, the art piece is made out of 20 illuminated rings that hang from a metal structure—changing in color from blue to purple to dazzling white in sequence. The swings hang from an overarching metal structure that is divided into geometric triangular shapes. The swings are custom fabricated from welded polypropylene in three sizes, and the LED lights that are responsible for the swings’ bright glow are programmed to activate based on the swing’s speed.

Signs around the exhibit, as well as on the swings themselves, instruct visitors to swing safely. Pushing the swings is not allowed. Rather, the experience aims to be more of a contemplative one. While lightly swaying inside the glowing rings, you feel a sense of ease to enjoy the park and take pleasure in the outdoor experience.

“Swing Time” represents a merging of art and activity—an interactive art piece at its core. “‘Swing Time’s’ responsive play elements invite users to interact with the swings and with each other, activating the urban park and creating a community laboratory for play in the Innovation District and South Boston neighborhoods,” reads a sign at the entrance of the installation. In a Sept. 11 article in the Boston Globe, Executive Director of the MCCA Jim Rooney noted that same mission of interaction. “We wanted to have a piece that would entice anyone to use it, not just stop and stare,” he said.

The website states that during the time that Lawn on D is open to the public, the MCCA will experiment with programming in order to help plan for a permanent outdoor space as part of an expansion of the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. A copious amount of programming is planned to take place during the 18 months that the space is open to the public, such as a Slam Story Fest, pumpkin carving and concerts.

So if you have a moment to spare in South Boston, sit on one of these swings—just for a minute—and become a kid again.