Prof. Eric Chasalow (MUS), a former chair of the Music department, replaced Prof. Mick Watson (PSYC) as the dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in July, according to a BrandeisNOW article posted on July 1. Watson retired in June after dedicating 37 years as a Brandeis faculty member, four of those as dean. 

Chasalow serves as the Irving Fine Professor of Music and is well known worldwide for his innovative compositions—namely, acoustic music that utilizes electronic sounds.

Prior to this appointment, Chasalow served as a member of the Strategic Planning and Steering Committee and the Provost’s University Advisory Committee, and has also been acting as the chair of the Faculty Senate, a two-year post.

Susan Birren, the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences was quoted in the article that she is excited that Chasalow accepted the position, and noted that “he has distinguished himself as a composer, advisor, teacher and member of the university community.” Birren also stated that she believes Chasalow’s “experience in graduate education, combined with his vision and drive” will continue to improve the graduate programs at the University.

Birren, in the article, noted that Watson has been wonderful in his career of “a teacher, researcher and administrator.” 

Before becoming dean, Watson was the George and Frances Levin Professor of Psychology and as dean, he was a key member who shaped Fulfilling the Promise: The Brandeis University Strategic Plan, a plan to enhance the learning experience at Brandeis by empowering collaborative opportunities in the University community and supporting innovative academic initiatives as well as other goals designed to maintain the high standards denoted by a Brandeis education.

Chasalow did not respond to requests for comment by press time.