The first lighting of the new installation for the Rose Art Museum, Chris Burden’s “Light of Reason” would be sooner than expected, Andrew Flagel, senior vice president for students and enrollment told a room full of community advisors and orientation leaders on Sunday, Aug. 17. 

Flagel announced that the official lighting that was planned for Sept. 10 would actually be the second lighting, as new students engaged in the first lighting of the antiquated lamps on Sunday, their first night on campus. 

The event, planned by Brandeis Orientation, was spearheaded by one of its core planning committee members, Brendan Weintraub ’16. Weintraub noted in an address to the orientation leaders that he got his inspiration from a similar event this past school year on the first night of Orientation—a communal lighting in front of the Carl and Ruth Shapiro Admissions Center. 

Last year, students lit electronic lights, but this year Weintraub worked to receive authorization from the city of Waltham to use actual candles. He noted that safety services were on call. 

At 8 p.m., students gathered on the lawn in front of Spingold Theater Center for the lighting. Flagel spoke to the crowd, telling the incoming students that they were the first people ever to see this installation lit. “You are the meaning of why these lights exist,” he said. 

The installation of “Light of Reason” was still a work in progress as of Sunday night, so Flagel told the crowd that about five lights probably would not go on. 

Orientation leaders lit the new students’ candles as the community engaged in a moment of reflection. As Weintraub told the students to raise their candles to the sky, “Light of Reason” was lit. 

The official opening of the installation will take place as planned on September 10, an event that is open to the entire community. 

Burden will attend the lighting ceremony. Entertainment will include the Lydian String Quartet, and the indie rock band The Antlers will perform.