Jonathan Roth '14 passes away at 21
Will Ferrell plays a beleaguered Mexican rancher. Photo courtesy of Lionsgate Pictures
Jonathan Roth '14, of Teaneck, N.J., passed away Sunday. He was 21.
"He was a dear member of our community and will be greatly missed," said Brandeis Orthodox Organization President Ethan Stein in an email to the Orthodox community Sunday evening.
Roth took a leave of absence from Brandeis for the fall semester and was not on campus when he died, according to Bill Burger, associate vice president for communications.
Roth, an Economics major, according to his LinkedIn profile, had been a member of the Brandeis Libertarian Conservative Union and BOO.
Sammy Ballan '14 said of his close friend and roommate, "Through thick and thin, your integrity and good natured charisma were constantly an inspiration. There is a gaping hole in the world where you once stood."
Rafi Abramowitz '14, who lived on the same floor as Roth during his first year at Brandeis, remembered his "big, wide smile."
"I am left with many happy memories of Jon, and am blessed to have known him. He was a special person that made everyone feel like they were his best friend," he said.
A Jewish memorial service was held in Berlin Chapel at 9:30 p.m. Sunday to "pray together and reflect on the tragic news," according to an email from Rabbi Elliot Kaplowitz, co-director of the Orthodox Union's Seif Jewish Learning Initiative on Campus, to Hillel at Brandeis.
Funeral services will take place Monday, Dec. 17, at 1:00 p.m. at the Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Home, 402 Park Street, Hackensack, N.J. Shiva will be observed at the Roth Residence in Teaneck through next Sunday morning, Dec. 23.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent thejustice News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEJUSTICE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEJUSTICE NEWS
- Kamensky leaves position as chair
- Prof. Eric Chasalow (MUS) takes over as graduate dean
- Former PhD student mentioned in Foley note
- Prof. Jané Kondev (PHYS) awarded grant to promote interdisciplinary research...
- Retired art history professor passes away at the age of 85
- University hosts conference on opioid abuse in New England
- New trustee committee will focus on technology
RECENT THEJUSTICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care