Jonathan Roth '14 passes away at 21

By The Justice
On December 16, 2012

• Will Ferrell plays a beleaguered Mexican rancher. Photo courtesy of Lionsgate Pictures

Jonathan Roth '14, of Teaneck, N.J., passed away Sunday. He was 21.

"He was a dear member of our community and will be greatly missed," said Brandeis Orthodox Organization President Ethan Stein in an email to the Orthodox community Sunday evening.

Roth took a leave of absence from Brandeis for the fall semester and was not on campus when he died, according to Bill Burger, associate vice president for communications.

Roth, an Economics major, according to his LinkedIn profile, had been a member of the Brandeis Libertarian Conservative Union and BOO.

Sammy Ballan '14 said of his close friend and roommate, "Through thick and thin, your integrity and good natured charisma were constantly an inspiration. There is a gaping hole in the world where you once stood."

Rafi Abramowitz '14, who lived on the same floor as Roth during his first year at Brandeis, remembered his "big, wide smile."
"I am left with many happy memories of Jon, and am blessed to have known him. He was a special person that made everyone feel like they were his best friend," he said.

A Jewish memorial service was held in Berlin Chapel at 9:30 p.m. Sunday to "pray together and reflect on the tragic news," according to an email from Rabbi Elliot Kaplowitz, co-director of the Orthodox Union's Seif Jewish Learning Initiative on Campus, to Hillel at Brandeis.

Funeral services will take place Monday, Dec. 17, at 1:00 p.m. at the Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Home, 402 Park Street, Hackensack, N.J. Shiva will be observed at the Roth Residence in Teaneck through next Sunday morning, Dec. 23.