Fashion's Night Out dazzles Boston

By Haemee Kang
On September 11, 2012

Last Thursday, Newbury Street hosted Fashion's Night Out in Boston for the second year in a row-and with a friend by my side, I set out to experience this night dedicated to fashion in Boston for my first time.
Originally started in 2009 in New York City, Fashion's Night Out (also known as FNO) is an outdoor party marking the kickoff to Fashion Week- a biannual, week-long event during which both established and emerging fashion designers showcase their latest collections for the upcoming season. During FNO, stores keep their doors open for longer hours, often hiring DJ's to spin party music or offering special promotions on merchandise to shoppers.
The energy of the evening was something not often experienced on the streets of Boston. Newbury Street was closed to traffic as style-conscious Bostonians and tourists strolled the streets, stopping in at participating retailers to indulge in free food and drinks and partake in some after-hours shopping. Outside, people were able to enjoy live musicians, such as the Harry Fix Jazz Trio outside of Brooks Brothers and the Tokyo Tramps (also jazz) outside of Itadaki Boston. In the middle of Newbury Street outside of the fashion boutique, Intermix, a live concert entertained a deep crowd spanning the entire width of the street that sang along as the singers covered popular tracks by well-known artists like P!nk. A recent addition to the neighborhood, Georgetown Cupcakes handed out free cupcakes, including a special Fashion's Night Out edition of their signature flavor, the red velvet cupcake-which was absolutely delicious.
Perhaps the highlight of my night occurred at Marc Jacobs while I waited with my friend for the photobooth. As the recently viral Korean pop number by PSY "Gangnam Style" sounded through the speakers, two Marc Jacobs employees started to dance the famous moves, from the lasso-like circular hand gestures to the leg movements that imitate riding an "invisible horse." While waiting, I also noticed a young woman's outfit- or rather, I noticed her shoes first. On her feet were the oh-so-pretty black Jeffrey Campbell "Spike" Litas. Her white chiffon tank had a skull pattern reminiscent of that of the late Alexander McQueen's, often seen on silk scarves. Her leather shorts completed the outfit and the arm parties she sported on both wrists were the "icing" to the cake.
However, FNO is not just about consuming free booze and macarons, or waiting in long lines for free samples of amazing products. As a celebration of fashion, FNO is a rich opportunity to observe local street style and in turn, collect sources of inspiration to continue to challenge and evolve your own style. Street style this night ranged from urban and edgy to casual yet chic. One woman in particular wowed me with her attention to detail. She accessorized her simple black dress with an orange and lime-green beaded necklace, a cognac-colored waist belt strategically placed with the buckle at the back, patent-leather Mary Janes with chunky heels and a Louis Vuitton Speedy. Her cropped black hair highlighted her face beautifully, and allowed her gold starfish studs to shine through. Fabulous and a tad unconventional.