University implements new traffic safety protocol

On February 11, 2014

The University has implemented several new measures to improve pedestrian safety after three students were struck by a car on South Street and sent to the hospital on Feb. 2. Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan said in a phone interview with the Justice that the Waltham Police Department has increased its presence by the crosswalk near the Linsey Sports Center to enforce speed limits and encourage students to use the flashing crosswalk lights. Additionally, he said that he would be meeting with a traffic engineer from the city of Waltham to review the design of the crosswalk.

Senior Vice President for Communications Ellen de Graffenreid expressed the importance of working with the city of Waltham. "We are committed to working with the city to ensure that upgrades happen as fast as possible," she wrote in an email to the Justice.

Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex District Attorney's office, said that the investigation into the crash is still ongoing.

Two of the three students involved in the accident were released from the hospital last week. Neither Guyotte, Callahan, nor de Graffenreid could confirm that the third student has been released from the hospital. Dean of Students Jamele Adams could not be reached for comment by press time.

These initiatives have been a response to an accident that occurred on Feb. 2, during which three students were struck by a car crossing South Street near the Linsey Sports Center. The three students, an 18-year-old male, an 18-year-old female and a 22-year-old female, were all transported to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with injuries. The driver, a 42-year-old Belmont, Mass. resident, was not found to be impaired by any substances.

-Phil Gallagher