Wingens elected editor in chief

By the Justice
On April 4, 2012

Andrew Wingens '14 was elected editor in chief of the Justice at a staff-wide meeting on Tuesday night. The Justice editorial board met immediately following the election and confirmed Wingens as the newspaper's next editor in chief.

The votes took place following a speech and subsequent discussion in which Wingens enumerated different large-scale projects to improve the Justice. He also spoke fondly of the two years that he had already spent as part of the staff.

"The Justice has taught me a lot over the past two years," Wingens said, addressing the staff, "and I'm looking forward to a great year ahead."

Wingens explained that during his tenure as deputy editor he had been expanding his knowledge outside of the News section, where he began to write during the first semester of his first year at Brandeis. During his second semester he was designated a News editorial assistant and later News editor. In those capacities, he wrote numerous articles for the paper covering content ranging from campus speakers to major University developments.

He is the first editor in chief to be elected as a sophomore since 2008.

"The Justice is basically my life," he said, going on to explain that he would be dedicating the majority of his time to ensuring that the paper continues to run smoothly.

Wingens noted that his plans for next year include expanding the types of articles published by the newspaper and creating more of an online presence for the Justice through the use of Facebook and Twitter. 

Emily Kraus '12, senior editor and former editor in chief, said that "working with Andrew has been a really great experience. He's picked up on things very quickly, and I expect he'll do a great job moving forward."