Magid joins trade mission to Brazil

By Sam Mintz
On November 14, 2011

Dean of the Brandeis International Business School Bruce Magid plans to accompany a delegation led by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick on a trade mission to Brazil later this year.

It is the second time this year that Magid has been invited by Patrick to join a venture overseas. Magid was part of the Massachusetts Innovation Economy Partnership Mission 2011 in March, which traveled to Israel and the United Kingdom and "focused on job-growth opportunities in the innovation industries," according to the website of the governor's office.

According to an email from Magid to the Justice, the mission is intended to enhance existing ties between Massachusetts and Brazil. The delegation will meet with Brazilian leaders in several sectors, including business, government and education.

"I was honored to be selected to be part of such a prestigious group of leaders from diverse sectors for this mission," Magid wrote in his email. "The Governor included me largely because of my extensive international business background."

Magid has lived and worked in Brazil and has worked at Bank of America, where he was in charge of corporate and trade finance activities in Latin America. He also served on the Board of the Massachusetts Office of International Trade and Investment and has been dean of the IBS since August 2007. He recently began his second five-year term as its dean.

Magid said that the trip will benefit Brandeis as well as Massachusetts. "In addition to being a great opportunity to create business partnerships between Massachusetts and Brazil, the trip will enable us to increase the visibility of Brandeis University and Brandeis International Business School, and advance our efforts to attract more students from the region," he wrote.

The trip also serves as a precursor to the IBS' second-annual Global Trade Summit, which will take place on April 3, 2012 and will feature Brazil as one of its focus countries. The Summit will highlight opportunities for companies seeking global expansion.

On his trip in March, Magid participated on three panels in Israel and one in the U.K. He spoke about opportunities for cooperation between Massachusetts and Israeli businesses. He was joined on the trip by fellow academic University of Massachusetts President Robert Caret.

Magid wrote that March's mission was an "informative and productive trip," and he was optimistic about the next venture.

"Brazil is the largest economy in South America and the seventh largest in the world. [Massachusetts], exports to the country reached $396 million in 2010, but there is certainly room for more collaboration," he wrote. "The mission will also help attract larger numbers of qualified Brazilians to study at Brandeis and the many other fine universities and colleges in the United States."