University looks to establish WhoCash use for vending

By Hannah Wulkan
On March 11, 2014

The University is working on a new initiative to allow students to use WhoCash to purchase from the Coca-Cola vending machines on campus, according to Chair of the Campus Operations Work Group and Class of 2014 Senator Andre Tran, .

This development came about due to a combination of factors, including student feedback, discussion with the Student Union Senate and a recent contract renewal with Coca-Cola, which opened up discussion as to how the system could be improved, according to Tran.

Tran, who is trying to help push this initiative through, said that the purpose of these changes is to increase the usage of the machines.

He wrote in an email to the Justice that the Senate is still in the initial phases of this project, but that the changes will hopefully be implemented sometime this semester.

"This has been in the back of the mind of the Office of University Services for a while. It just makes sense to have WhoCash work on vending machines," Tran wrote.

According to Tran, Director of University Services Dianne Qualter initially brought this idea to the Senate at the biweekly Campus Operations Working Group Senate committee meeting on Feb. 28. The committee continued to work with her, as well as directly with Coca-Cola, to implement this new system.

Tran wrote that the contract renewals with Coca-Cola were the final push to make this change to the system. As part of the renewal, many of the vending machines on campus were already updated or replaced. In order to make them able to accept WhoCash, they will install a card swiping mechanism at some point during this semester.