The Brandeis women’s soccer team is 5-0 in their strong season so far. This hardworking group has really had a great start to their season, resulting in many victories. In the past two weeks, the team has won three more games.

Babson 0, Judges 1

For the fifth game of the season, the Judges went head to head with Babson College. Not a single goal was scored until the 90th minute of play by Sam Volpe ’19.  With no assist and 43 seconds left in the game, Volpe beat an opposing defender to a loose ball and sent it into the goal, ending the game with a score of 1-0.

The goal was Volpe’s second of her career and her second in as many games. This was the 44th meeting between Brandeis women’s soccer and Babson College, making them the longest standing rival in Brandeis Women’s Soccer history. 

Eastern Conn. State 0, Judges 1

The next team the Judges faced was Eastern Connecticut State University. With a perfect record to uphold, the team started off strong in this game. The only goal of the game was scored by Sam Volpe ’19 in the 30th minute of the game, the first goal of her career. 

Volpe was assisted by Julia Jaffe ’19 in her first assist of the season. Throughout the game, goalkeepers Sierra Dana ’20 and Victoria Richardson ’20 kept the opposing team from scoring a single point. This game ended with a score of 1-0, making it another victory for the Judges.

Johnson and Wales 1, Judges 4

In their third game of the season, the team played Johnson and Wales University. In this match, Brandeis defeated the opposition 4-1. In the 24th minute of the game, Daria Bakhtiari ’21 scored her second goal of the season and third of the game. About seven minutes later, the second goal of the game was scored by Brandeis’ Zoe Ballas ’20. Ballas gave the extra push needed to cross the ball into the goal after an initial header by Emma Spector ’20.

After halftime, the opposing team scored a free kick from 20 yards away. Later in the game, the third goal came from Juliette Carrao ’22, set up by senior Becca Buchman. Finally, the last goal of the game was scored by Makenna Hunt ’22. This was the third game in a row in which Hunt had scored. 

In a Sept. 10 interview, Kerin Miller ’20 explained that the current women’s soccer team has a lot of talent and that she cannot wait to see what they are capable of. In addition, Miller explained, “A strong start to the season is important to help gain positive momentum as we head into more challenging and competitive games. These first few wins have provided a strong foundation of confidence that will help bring success in the future.”

Next Saturday the Judges will travel to Medford, Massachusetts to go head to head with Tufts University. This will be followed by a game against Wellesley University on Tuesday, Sept. 25th. UAA conference play begins the game after with the team's first game against Case Western Reserve University on Saturday, Sept. 29th. This will also serve as the team's homecoming game.

As the season progresses, it is important for the loyal Jury to support the Judges when they play at home. In a final quotation by Miller, she states, “We really do appreciate all the support from students and faculty members. We love seeing familiar faces in the stands at games. Please come out and support us. It really does a mean a lot.”