The Brandeis men’s soccer team has split its games from this past week. The team started off with an 8-0 rout of Massachusetts Maritime Academy, the team’s highest scoring game in seven years. Following that, they took on crosstown rival Tufts University but were unable to come away with the win, and t. Their 2-1 defeat dropped them to 3-4 on the year. Although this is not the start they were hoping for, there is still plenty of time to turn things around and bring the Judges back to the top of Division III soccer. 

Tufts 2, Judges 1

Coming into the game, the Jumbos seemed to be having the season that the Judges were hoping for. Ranked third in Division III and carrying a perfect 5-0 record, Tufts has had a dominant start to their season. They did not need much time to take an early lead; . Less than a minute and a half into the game, the visiting Jumbos took advantage of a goalkeeping mistake and scored an easy screamer on an open net. 10 game minutes later, an errant Tufts header deflected off of a Brandeis defender and past goalkeeper Noah Cohen ’20. Early on in the second half, Josh Handler ’19 launched a free kick toward the box. As the Jumbos goalkeeper charged to meet it, Jake Warren ’20 beat him to it and chipped the ball over his head for the goal. While the Judges kept Tufts out of the net for the remainder of the game, they were unable to score the equalizer, keeping the final score at 2-1. 

Mass Maritime 0, Judges 8

The Judges were absolutely dominant in their game against Massachusetts Maritime Academy from start to finish. They did not take long to get the scoring going. The team won possession and quickly moved the ball downfield. Off of an assist from Max Breiter ’20, Warren scored just 33 seconds into the game. Things were just getting started. Bryant Nardizzi ’20 has made an immediate impact as a transfer student as he currently stands as the team’s leading goalscorer. This title includes the next two goals he scored in the game, making the score 3-0 by the 15th minute. Right before the half, Devan Casey ’19 scored next, his first goal of his senior campaign. Rookie midfielder Jared Panson ’22 notched his second assist right after halftime, sending the pass to a n awaiting Andrew Allen ’19 who then scored his third goal of the season. Sophomore Noah Gans ’21 was up next on the scoring train, putting his first goal of the season in the back of the net off an assist from classmate Evan Glass ’21. Less than a minute later, the Judges marched down the field again where Warren scored his second of the day. Even the defense was in on the fun as back Chris Russo ’21 notched a goal of his own in the 68th minute, bringing the scoring in this 8-0 slugfest to a close. 

The Judges look to get back on track this next week with games against Wheaton College and Case Western Reserve University.