The Senate convened for its weekly meeting on Sunday to discuss probationary club rules and constitutional amendments.

Mace Lieberman ’20 came to the Senate to discuss the changes made to the Brandeis Basketball Club’s constitution. Last week, the Senate chartered the club. However, after a discussion about the club’s male-only exclusivity, the Senate de-chartered the club at the same meeting. The club made changes to its constitution, allotting one of its practices each week as open to everyone on campus. With the addition of these practices, East Quad Senator Samantha Barrett ’20 expressed, the club would gauge demand for a women’s team and establish one if desired. The new constitution promises to establish a women’s team if there is sufficient demand.

Barrett stated that with the club’s proposed changes, exclusivity would no longer be an issue because of its weekly open practices. 

The Senate voted to charter the Basketball Club and approved its constitutional changes.

On behalf of the Brandeis Swimming Club, Erin Gawronski ’18 asked for a second period as a probationary club. The club only started holding practices a month ago due to difficulties with the Brandeis Athletics Department’s bureaucracy, including reserving the pool, problems with the club’s recognition and low recruitment. Gawronski brought this request forward with a recommendation from the Club Support Committee.

When Club Support Committee Chair and Class of 2020 Senator Tal Richtman asked Gawronski about lessons learned during the club’s first probationary period, Gawronski stated that the club wishes to rely less on club members for lifeguarding.

Class of 2019 Senator Benedikt Reynolds stated that according to its constitution, the club’s long-term goal was to join a league and hire a coach. Highlighting the fact that the club’s goal for the probationary period did not include joining a league, Richtman said that if that goal had changed, the club could come to the Senate with the proposition of a constitutional amendment.

Referencing the club’s difficulties with meeting its goals, Rosenthal Quad Senator Elizabeth Dabanka ’20 stated that the requirements demanded of probationary clubs are unfair because they are much more stringent than those that had been expected of established clubs chartered under the old system. Richtman countered by arguing that the new system’s high expectations force probationary clubs to hold themselves to higher standards, thus driving them to succeed.

Dabanka questioned whether giving the club a second probationary term with no new matriculating students would be fair, as the club would be faced with its same recruitment challenges. Richtman replied that the probationary period (lasting 14 academic weeks) would end midway into next semester, thus giving the club a chance to recruit new students.

The Senate voted to grant the Swimming Club a second period as a probationary club.

Student Union Vice President Hannah Brown ’19 reminded the Senate that the Executive Board candidates debate would take place on Monday night. Today, students can vote in the election.

Brown announced that Foster Mods Senator Casey Lamar ’18 had resigned. Lamar never attended a Senate meeting, and the Executive Board found after discussion that he had not fulfilled his duties.

Services and Outreach Committee Chair and Senator-at-Large Aaron Finkel ’20 reported that the committee has organized Bunny Buses to Logan Airport and South Station for spring break.

Richtman and Class of 2018 Senator Matt Kowalyk announced that the Community Emergency and Enhancement Fund will be allocating $40,000 to a University gun violence prevention and activism workshop for high school students. 

—Emily Blumenthal