Money Magazine named the City of Waltham the best place to live in Massachusetts in an annual list of the best places to live in each of the 50 states. The list is based on affordability, economic and educational performance, safety, convenience and a “pleasant way of life.” 

Citing its proximity to Boston, easy access to an MBTA station, state Route 128, the Massachusetts Turnpike and state Route 2, the magazine named Waltham’s location as a large factor that contributed to its ranking. The city also houses plenty of large employers, such as Raytheon and Cimpress (formerly Vistaprint). Money Magazine determined that the presence of these large companies, a projected job growth rate of 4.6 percent and a median household income of $75,106 signals a strong economy. 

In addition, diversity was a “plus” for Money Magazine, since one in four Waltham residents were born outside of the U.S. 

The wide variety of cuisine also demonstrates this diversity: Moody Street is home to a myriad of restaurants, with food from all over the world. Pho, tapas, sushi and tandoori kebabs can all be found within walking distance of each other.

This is not the first time Waltham was included in a Money Magazine list. In September 2017, Waltham was ranked as the 13th best place to live in the U.S., in between Orem, Utah and Beaverton, Ohio. This list, which featured 100 locations with populations between 10,000 and 100,000, used the same criteria as the former: affordable housing, a healthy economy and high quality of life.

— Natalia Wiater