The Brandeis softball team ended their season with a tough loss at home against Worcester State University on May 2.

Judges 5, Worcester 7

After an electrifying first inning that saw a combined total of nine runs put up on the board, the Judges dropped their final game of the season against Worcester State by a score of 7-5. 

Starting pitcher Melissa Soleimani ’17 struggled on the hill.  The senior gave up five earned runs, including a home run, while only recording two outs in the top of the first inning.  

Scottie Todd ’20 came in to rescue her teammate and did a stellar job through 6.1 innings of work.  Todd allowed just two runs off eight hits and struck out three, allowing her team to get back in the game.  Despite the inspiring effort, the club fell just short at the end of the day.

On offense, catcher Keri Lehtonen ’19 had a monster performance at the plate.  The slugger smacked her third home run of the season en route to a three-hit day.  

Worcester State did not have an answer for third baseman PJ Ross ’20, who went two for four and knocked in three runs.  Center fielder Amanda Shore ’18 produced her 18th RBI of the season and tallied a pair of hits. 

Brandeis ends the year with a 13-17 overall record.  While the team missed out on some games due to unfortunate weather, they tallied five fewer wins than last year.  In addition, the 2016 club slugged 25 home runs while sporting an impressive .334 overall team batting average.  

However, this year’s team showed a decrease in power with nine dingers, and put up a team average of .288. 

Despite the low numbers this year, the team and fans alike have a lot to look forward to thanks to Todd.  The rookie standout was a superstar for the Judges in all regards.  At the plate, Todd led the team with a .344 average and smacked in one of the group’s nine homers. 

While Todd was a catalyst at the dish, her greatest contributions to the team came on the mound.  The Judges’ ace recorded the best pitching season in school history after posting a 1.41 ERA.  

With a 9-5 record, Todd struck out 46 batters and tossed a pair of complete-game shutouts. 

Todd has been absolutely unhittable in the University Athletic Association conference, and has already cemented herself as the go-to pitcher for the team in just her first season.

Even more importantly for the developing squad, Todd has proven to be a workhorse for Brandeis.  

At 94.1 innings pitched, Todd hurled just under half the total innings this season of all pitchers combined on the squad.  

Her total dominance did not come from a small sample size, she baffled opponents all season long and will only continue to grow with more experience throughout her blossoming collegiate career. 

However, the team will sorely miss their graduating seniors in trying to grow even more as a unit next spring.  Infielder Allison Hecht ’17 batted .319 this year with a home run and 12 RBIs.  

She finishes her outstanding three-year playing career with a .320 average, five home runs and 26 RBIs.  

Hecht also put up a .463 career slugging percentage, providing significant power for the Judges over the years.  

In addition, outfielder Madison Hunter ’17 has been a massive run producer for the squad.  Posting a .279 average, including five home runs and 23 doubles, Hunter knocked in 58 RBIs over the course of her four-year playing career.  Hecht and Hunter have been significant offensive forces for Brandeis and new, young talent will have to step up in their absences next season.  With players like Todd in the system, though, there is no reason not to be optimistic. 

Stacked with young talent, the Judges will look to top a .500 record next year for the first time since 2015.