The Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences awarded three professors with teaching awards at the monthly faculty meeting on Friday, according to a April 21 press release.

Prof. Adrianne Krstansky (THA) received the Jeanette Lerman-Neubauer ’69 and Joseph Neubauer Prize for Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring. According to the press release, the Neubauer award recognizes an “exceptional teacher ... with significant impact on students’ lives as a mentor and advisor.” A recipient of numerous theater performance and production awards, Krstansky joined the University’s faculty in 1999. According to the release, a nominator said of Krstansky, “Adrianne is not only an extraordinary teacher — patient, dedicated, knowledgeable — and an extraordinary director — insightful, thrilling, and visionary — but also an extraordinary human being.”

Prof. Derron Wallace (EDU/SOC) received the 35th Michael L. Walzer ’56 Award for Teaching, an award honoring a tenure-track faculty member who “combines superlative scholarship with inspired teaching,” according to the release. Wallace joined the University’s faculty in 2014. Alongside a career of global activism, Wallace’s sociology research focuses on cross-national identities in urban schools and neighborhoods. “Professor Wallace’s passion for teaching and ultimately his willingness to learn from us and about us has changed my perspective of teachers and professors,” said a student nominator in the release. 

Prof. Daniel Breen (LGLS) received the Louis Dembitz Brandeis Prize for Excellence in Teaching. Breen began to teach law at the University in 1998 and has since been an active mentor in Legal and American Studies, both inside and outside of the classroom. 

A nominator highlighted in the release said of Breen, “His passion for legal studies and social justice is contagious. He is always available for students after class… [and] is very kind and welcoming to students’ ideas and suggestions.”

—Michelle Dang