The Judges took off at their first outdoor meet of the regular season, hosted by Bridgewater State University this past Saturday. The men poured in a number of top-10 finishes on the day, while the women took home multiple bronze medals in the non-scoring meet. 

The men weathered the stormy conditions to take a solid position in the meet. Regan Charie ’19 took his first of multiple top-10 finishes in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.36 and a sixth-place finish. He followed that up with an improved fifth-place mark in the 200-meter dash and a cool time of 22.91. With Charie’s performance, he advances to the Division III New England Outdoor Track and Field Championship. 

Irie Gourde ’17 maxed out in the 400-meter dash, sweeping the competition with a time of 50.63 and taking a golden ticket to the Track and Field Championship. 

Brian Sheppard ’18 posted a speedy 4:12.13 in the 1500-meter dash to take seventh place, with fellow Brandeisians Roger Lacroix ’18 and Dan Curley ’20 following in ninth and 10th, respectively. 

Jack Allan ’20 hurdled his way to the Track and Field Championship with a time of 15.83 in the 110-meter hurdles. Allan’s performance was the fastest of all first-years at the invitational, a feat which earned him third in the event. 

Fellow first-year Aaron Corin ’20 took home the Judges’ second gold of the day with an impressive 3.80-meter pole vault, tied with sophomore Isaiah Brackels of Southern Vermont College. 

In the high jump, Mark Franklin ’17 hopped his way into fifth place with a 1.77-meter jump. In the long jump, Henry McDonald ’18 stole sixth place with a 5.98-meter jump, a smidge out of the top five finishers. 

Scott Grote ’19 landed a fifth-place finish in the discus throw, powering past the competition with a throw of 38.71 meters. 

The women had a solid showing, earning their rights to multiple top finishes. The first-years showed their grit in this meet, posting some of the team’s best finishes. 

Kayla Kurland-Davis ’20 started the day with an eighth-place finish in the 200-meter dash, good for a respectable time of 27.69.

Madeline Hayman ’20 continued the first-year onslaught with a silver finish in the 800-meter dash, clocking in at 2:30.60. 

Maya Bliss ’19 followed her up with a sixth-place finish in the 400-meter dash and a time of 1:02.67. 

The Judges dominated the 1500-meter dash with three of the top 10 finishes in the event. Kyra Shreeve ’18 led the pack with a time of 5:04.16 and a bronze medal. Meaghan Barry ’19 and Danielle Bertaux ’20 crossed close behind in sixth and eighth, respectively, for their team. 

Lydia Harris ’20 took a bronze in the 400-meter hurdles with a commanding time of 1:13.28.

Willa Moen ’20 edged out Beth Defossez ’18 in the pole vault, securing a silver with a 3.05-meter performance. Defossez managed a 2.90-meter vault for a bronze medal. 

First-years Kayla Fahey ’20 and Jessie Moore ’20 took home third and seventh, respectively,  in the long jump. Fahey jumped a remarkable 4.87 meters, while Moore managed 4.42 meters.

Both teams will continue on April 1 at the Tufts Snowflake Classic, hosted by cross-state rivals Tufts University. Last year, the women secured a sixth-place overall finish with 36 points on the day, while the men took ninth place with 30.5 points overall.  The team has a lot to look forward to as their new athletes grow and develop, and these rookies will be able to once again show what they are made of at their next meet. The Judges will be up against stiff competition and will need their first-years to continue their dominant performances to lead the teams to victory.