The Judges had a busy weekend running at the Tufts Stampede Invitational at Tufts University on Saturday and the Terrier Classic at Boston University on Friday. 

The men had a solid showing at the Tufts Stampede, winning multiple top-10 spots on the day. In the preliminary 60-meter dash, Regan Charie ’19  reeled in a 10th place finish to start the day. 

The Judges secured two top-10 spots in the one-mile run, with Roger LaCroix ’18 and Max Whitmore ’18 finishing in eighth and ninth, respectively. The two finished exactly 10 seconds apart, with LaCroix crossing the marker at 4:32.00 and Whitmore  following closely from behind. 

In the triple-jump, the Judges had a field day, beating out the competition for a first-place medal. Credit goes to Perry Churchill ’20, who managed a 13.86 meter jump in the final round to take home the gold hardware. 

The Judges’ lone performer in the heptathlon, Allan Jack ’20, squeezed into fourth place overall with a couple of silver finishes. Jack took second place in the high jump and 60-meter hurdles events.

The women added their own accolades to the stash, with Jessie Moore ’18 securing two top-10 finishes. Moore flew past the competition in a mere 27.46 in the 200-meter dash to land a cool 10th-place finish. Moore showed her athleticism and versatility with another 10th-place finish in the long jump. With a jump of 4.63 meters in the final round, Moore out jumped her competition by a mere .1 meter. 

With separate meets occurring on the same weekend, the Judges sent Emily Bryson ’19 — among others  — to Boston University. Bryson came out with a commendable 13th-place finish in the one-mile run with a time of 4:52.18. Maddie Dollins followed in stride with a time of 5:19.47. 

Julia Bryson ’19 competed in the 5000-meter run and came away with a solid showing and a time of 18:03.89 to gain a spot among the top-35 runners. 

Irie Gourde ’17 ran in two major events, coming away with a respectable top-25 finish in the 400-meter dash and a top-40 finish in the 200-meter dash. 

Stender acknowledged that the Judges still have work to do to show the league they are contenders, explaining, “While we did lose some key scorers with the Class of 2016, that has only made us all want to step up and fill those spots. With how well cross went, we need to prove to the UAA yet again that we are a contender for a top three placement at the Championship.” 

With multiple top-10 finishes by first years, the team is within reach of becoming a top-competitor in the coming years. 

The team will continue its quest for gold on Feb. 4 at Tufts University.