The University released a progress report on its diversity and inclusion efforts on Nov. 18 in an email sent out to students, faculty and staff. The email, which reflected on the improvements Brandeis has made on the issue over the past 12 months, was signed by University President Ron Liebowitz, Provost Lisa Lynch and Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Andrew Flagel.

The email noted the appointment of Mark Brimhall-Vargas as the University’s first chief diversity officer and mentions several methods Brandeis has used to foster more diversity and inclusivity awareness on campus and in classes. For example, three diversity trainings were held this semester, with over 120 faculty members and 200 staff members registered for at least one session.

In its aim to recruit and retain underrepresented faculty and staff, the University is seeking a tenure-line position in African-Anglophone literature and Kay Fellows in Asian-American Pacific Islander studies. All search committees in Arts and Sciences now include a diversity representative trained in acknowledging and understanding of implicit bias, the email noted.

The email also listed several more efforts the University has made in the past year regarding the admission and retention of underrepresented students of color, as well as the issue of addressing diversity, equity and inclusion in education. Additionally, the email detailed several additions to staffing and programming that will help “create inclusive communities that provide professional development and support for a more diverse community.”

The Heller School for Social Policy is searching to fill a new position of associate dean for diversity and inclusion, while the Gender and Sexuality Center has recently welcomed its new program coordinator Atticus Ranck, Liebowitz wrote.

The email further noted that a large donation will allow the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences to expanding its Diversity, Excellence, and Inclusion Scholarship to include science students.

“We are grateful to the work of the faculty, staff, and students who devote themselves to making Brandeis a better place and a more inclusive community,” the email said. “We stand committed to diversity, transparency, accountability, and safety, and will continue to update the community about our progress.”

—Sabrina Sung