Contrary to popular belief, as the last pencils drop and the final classrooms empty out, the Brandeis campus transforms into a vibrant, active community. Although not known for its basketball program, Brandeis calls itself home to over 100 aspiring basketball players during the hot New England summer. Players gather from all parts of the state to take part in rising Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart’s Youth Basketball Academy.

Smart, a Texas native, began his basketball career averaging 15.1 points per game at Edward S. Marcus High School and was named a McDonald’s  All-American as a young high school player. Smart then committed to Oklahoma State University, where he  averaged 16.6 points per game over his collegiate career. The Celtics decided to cash in on his success and selected him as the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft.  He has continued to perform at a high level in the big leagues, averaging nearly 10 points per game in the 2015 to 2016 season. As an NBA All-Rookie Second Team player, Smart lifted the Celtics to a first-round playoff berth, losing to the eventual Eastern Conference Champions Cleveland Cavaliers. Smart has become an integral part of the Celtics team, relieving point guard Isaiah Thomas in tough situations and helping the team seriously contend for an Eastern Conference title this year. 

However, Smart’s assists off the court are even more impactful, leading to major victories for the small, undervalued town of Waltham. Smart started his basketball youth camp in the summer of 2015 as a way to give back to the community which has given him his prolific professional career. In the past decade, professional player camps have become a common attraction, with the likes of Cleveland Cavaliers guard Lebron James, Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry and Michael Jordan hosting camps all over the country. Smart’s camp focuses on empowering young basketball fanatics by teaching them the skills and work ethic to succeed on and off the hardwood.  The point guard has translated his basketball skills into educational tools, motivating his campers to test their limits and reach new heights.  Yet what separates Smart’s camp is his commitment to consistently make an appearance at the camp, play one-on-ones with campers and sign hundreds of fan autographs.

Smart’s hard-wired commitment is also apparent in his adamancy to open not one but two summer camps in his rookie season. Aside from the camp in Waltham, Smart committed to building a similar camp in his Texas hometown, calling both camps Young Game Changer Academies. Smart has continued to expand his selfless brand, partnering with Canterbury School in the Canary Islands to offer a similar high-level, two-week program to basketball youth. Although the Waltham camp runs for one week, the high level of play and competition helps campers identify and develop the skills they want. The camp, which runs during the end of June, accepts girls and boys ranging from second to 12th grade. The large range of ages allows campers of all heights and skills to develop their skillset and face tougher competition in the process. 

Yet Smart is not the first Celtic to spend time at Brandeis. The eponymous Red Auerbach Arena was built in memory of the legendary Celtics coach of the ’50s and ’60s and was heavily subsidized by the Celtics organization. Many Celtics players, such as K.C. Jones and Bob Brannum, took coaching stints at the University after years of calling it their practice facility and home. The team began practicing in 1990, after moving from an older gymnasium in the area. Players and coaches alike befriended students and teachers for nearly a decade before they moved out to another facility in the Waltham area. The legendary Larry Bird and Rick Pitino graced the Gosman court before Smart had even played a game of basketball. 

The Celtics’ ties to Brandeis and later Waltham did not last, however, as the team bounced from the Auerbach Arena for a larger, more fully equipped facility located a few miles away. The team recently ended ties with Waltham for good, committing to practicing in a newer complex at Boston Landing, starting in 2018.

Yet while the Celtics have moved out, Smart is looking to continue the Celtics-Brandeis tradition in a smaller, more philanthropic way. 

As the NBA season gets underway, the Celtics are off to a slow 6-5 start to place them in sixth place in the Eastern Conference. As Smart dribbles on the famed hardwood court of the Garden, the Brandeis basketball team holds his spot on the historical court of the Red Auerbach Arena, and the town of Waltham eagerly awaits his return. Smart is continuing the rich Auerbach legacy at Brandeis, helping support a community through the beloved game of basketball and becoming a Brandeis legend in his own right.