Brandeis’ Adagio Dance Company showcased its multifaceted talent in the Levin Ballroom Thursday night at its “Keep Calm and Dance On” dance exposition. Along with Brandeis performers, there were also performances by Simmons College, UMass Lowell and Bentley University.

The show featured 25 different dances in total. Specific groups that performed included Adagio Dance Ensemble, Hooked on Tap, Stop Motion Brandeis Ballet Company and B’yachad. Hosts Becca Groner ’17 and Robbie Rosen ’17 supplied light humor and sarcastic vignettes in between performances, which drew many laughs from the crowd.

The show opened with a dramatic piece choreographed by Melina Gross ’19 called “Head vs. Heart,” which emphasized acrobatic movement through cool lifts and tosses of dancers in the air. This performance, as well as the ones that followed, all seemed to represent some symbolic deeper meaning, expressed through dance and nuanced body movements, which I found intriguing. Multiple performances, each embedded with various themes, told stories. For example, “I’ve Always Had That Dream,” choreographed by Amanda Ehrmann ’18 incorporated sign language because, similarly to dance, sign language is often overlooked as a beautiful means of communication, as well. “Zenosyne” also choreographed by Ehrmann, touched upon the fleeting and imperative nature of time, represented via stillness and then quick movements, matching that of the ticks of a clock. “Woman,” choreographed by Julie Joseph ’18, was a powerful ballad about feminism and strong female agency, wherein dancers danced and stomped to a chant-like hymn with lyrics like “woman make, woman take, woman see, woman breathe.”

“A Tribute to Yoncé,” choreographed by Jacquie Zenou ’20, distinguished itself from the previously mentioned routines. As its name might suggest, the dancers put together an energetic and sassy tribute to some of Beyoncé’s greatest hits, such as “Crazy in Love.” In addition to the Yoncé mashup, there was also a Britney Spears mashup, choreographed by Brianna Silverman, with classics like “Toxic” and “Circus.” The fast and sharp dance moves of these two performances matched the pop tempo. Dancers were clad in sleek, all-black crop top and legging combinations, in contrast to the other flowy dresses, oversized t-shirts and tutus some of the other performers sported.

Stop Motion pulled off a fun and animated hip-hop performance to popular hip hop and EDM songs. One of the bigger groups, their routine stood out as the only group that incorporated some thoroughly enjoyable break-dancing.

The mix of dramatic and emotional performances with upbeat and energetic ones made the show diverse and enjoyable. The packed crowd consisted mostly of family and friends of the performers. Judging from the loud vocal support of hoots and cheers before UMass and Bentley’s performers went up, a considerable portion of the audience also included students from other schools.

A recurring theme in this show was to imbue classic dances with contemporary styles. “Hooked on Tap” gave a modern interpretation, lively and different from the traditional jazz standards with their song choice of pop favorite “Sax” by Fleur East. “Bang Bang” was a upcycled version of 1920s Charleston, and Brandeis’ Ballet Club got us ready for the holiday season with their fresh take on Tchaikovsky’s “Waltz of the Snowflakes,” which showcased beautiful and whimsical prances across the stage.

“Keep Calm and Dance On” couldn’t have gone any smoother — the choreographers, dancers, MCs and light and sound production put on a wonderfully unique show. Adagio Dance company’s efforts to be inclusive really prevailed. From hip hop to tap to contemporary dances that fit outside of specific genres, the artists’ creativity and passion for dance shined all throughout.

—Editor’s note: Lizzie Grossman ’18 is the Arts editor of the Justice. Brooke Granovsky ’18 is a staff writer, and Rachel Moore ’19 is on Copy staff.