The women’s volleyball team opened up their season with a strong showing in the Brandeis Invitational tournament this weekend.  

Brandeis asserted their dominance early on by way of 3-0 victories against both Smith College and Rhode Island College.  However, they suffered a tough, albeit hard-fought, 3-1 loss against Wellesley College to close out the tournament.

Judges 1, Wellesley 3

Although the Judges never lost their moxie, Wellesley overpowered Brandeis by scores of 25-19, 15-25, 25-18 and 25-19.  Outside hitter Grace Krumpack ’19 led the way with 11 kills and 11 digs, while libero Yvette Cho ’19 had two aces and 14 digs.  Led by her teammates’ seagull-like cheers of “Mar, Mar, Mar”, setter Marlee Nork ’19 had three aces to go along with her 15 assists.  The Judges played their hearts out, but they were unable to answer against Wellesley’s strong attack.

“Wellesley was stronger offensively compared to other teams,” Cho stated after the tournament. “There were missed opportunities on our part to compete at our best ability, but they put up a strong fight, and I respect that.”

The Judges took the loss in stride though and are looking to grow from their defeat.

Brandeis started off the tournament by defeating Smith in straight sets, 25-17, 25-16 and 25-15.  

Judges 3, RIC 0

That same morning, the Judges cruised past Rhode Island College in glaring fashion.  They won in straight sets, 25-21, 25-16 and 25-17. Krumpack had an impressive all-around performance with six kills, three aces and 12 digs. Team captain Cho had an ace and added 11 digs.  Right side hitter Zara Platt ’19, middle hitter Emma Bartlett ’20 and outside hitter Shea Decker-Jacoby ’19 each had eight kills, and setter Leah Pearlman ’19 led the team with 20 assists and added nine digs of her own.  

The Judges looked incredible right from the start, and Cho attributed this strong play to the close-knit nature of the squad.  

“We meshed well, played confidently and fought together as a team for each other,” said Cho.  “Our strong chemistry off the court really translates well into games and I think that’s what’s really making the difference for us.” 

Outside hitter Jessie Moore ’18 had a standout, clutch performance with six kills, three aces and seven digs. Platt and Bartlett each added seven kills of their own to help keep momentum on the Judges’ side.

Judges 3, Smith 0

After losing the first point of the set, the Judges scored two straight points and never looked back to take a 1-0 lead in the match.  However, in the second set, Smith was electric out of the gate and took a commanding 5-0 lead.  After Brandeis gained possession though, led by Moore’s excellent serving, the Judges answered back with six straight points to take the lead.  Smith was not able to come back as the deficit increased and eventually dropped the second set.  The Judges once again dominated in the third set and won their first match of the season with a kill and an ace by Moore to close it out.

The Judges’ season continues this Friday at home against Regis College (Mass.) at 4 p.m.