In light of Commencement, members of the Class of 2016 have the opportunity to look back at their college careers and their growth over the past four years. Reflecting on your time at Brandeis, what is the most important lesson you learned, and how do you think that lesson will help you in life?

Brandon Sousa ’16

During my time at Brandeis, I discovered the French author Marcel Proust, who once wrote that “the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.” I believe the liberal arts education I received at Brandeis has allowed me to see with new eyes. Brandeis has challenged me to think critically about my own community and to find solutions to the problems of society. This has helped me realize that people can truly make a difference in the world around them. I will keep this lesson in mind as I contribute to my community in my career as a teacher.

Brandon Sousa ’16 is a former president of the French and Francophone Club.

Noam Cohen ’16

I came into Brandeis as a shy, quiet kid. I’m still that same quiet kid, but I’ve since learned the value in speaking up. When a professor asks a question that I think I know the answer to but that I’m not sure about, I might say nothing, only to find out that I knew and could have answered all along. I slowly learned that speaking up can be very rewarding. Sure, I often don’t have the right answer, but I often do. I’ve also learned to appreciate the importance of my voice in casual conversations on campus — the people who talk a lot do not have a monopoly on interesting things to say. Speaking up has also helped me in the job market. Every summer since I enrolled at Brandeis, I’ve participated in an internship in which there was no formal program. Reaching out to somebody can go a long way.

Noam Cohen ’16 was a Near Eastern and Judaic Studies major and undergraduate departmental representative. He was also a board member of Brandeis Visions for Israel in an Evolving World and a former president of the Brandeis Orthodox Organization.

Zixuan (Alex) Xiao ’16

I have always been an ambitious student, and the resources at Brandeis really helped me to move toward my aspiration, which I truly appreciate. However, the most important thing that I think I learned at Brandeis is not the academics or the skills that would be helpful for my future career development. Rather, four years at Brandeis have taught me how to take care of my friends and my loved ones, be grateful for everything I have already got, as well as understand the difficulties of other people. I learned not to be judgmental toward others because they might experience things that I have never had in my life. Prof. Daniel Breen (LGLS) once said in class, “You should remember that everybody you meet in your life is on the same journey with you. And the end of this journey is the grave. So the most important thing is always take care of yourself and take care of others.” I took this quote as my post-graduation motto and a great summary of what I learned from Brandeis.

Zixuan (Alex) Xiao ’16 was a politics major and undergraduate departmental representative. He was also Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Brandeis University Law Journal Association.

Cynthia Jackson ’16

In my time at Brandeis, I’ve had the opportunity to build relationships with amazing people and explore any — and every — passion I have, but none of this would be possible without stepping out of my comfort zone over and over again. I came to college knowing exactly what I wanted for my future self, and I had a detailed image of what my college career would look like. I wanted to become a history and English teacher, but I had no clue that my path to teaching would be so adventurous or fun. All of the best things that have made up my Brandeis experience were possible because I didn’t follow every detail of that original plan. Having a plan is good, but being open to new experiences creates the moments that teach you the most.

Cynthia Jackson ’16 was a history and English double major, and she was an education undergraduate departmental representative for two years. She is a former fellow and coordinator for Brandeis Bridges and a former president of MLK and Friends.