The men and women’s track and field teams traveled to Connecticut College to square off against regional opponents at the Silfen Invitational on Saturday. They ran to commendable ninth and 12th places, respectively. The men scored 37.5 points on the afternoon, while the women got 23 points.

Men’s Squad (9th place — 37.5 points)

Evan Scott ’16 continued his strong season for the Judges by winning his fourth-straight high jump event. Scott jumped to a 1.99-meter height, a shade lower than his 2.01-meter jump from the Amherst Spring Fling on April 9. Scott barely edged out Tufts University sophomore Stefan Duvivier, who finished second in the event with a 1.98-meter jump. Mark Franklin ’17 took a sixth-place tie with a jump of 1.83 meters, netting 2.5 points for the squad.

Adam Berger ’16 grabbed a third-place finish in the long jump to grab six points for the Judges, jumping to a distance of 6.50 meters, just three-hundredths of a meter behind Eastern Connecticut State College senior Christopher Brown.

Berger also earned a fourth-place finish in the triple jump with a distance of 12.92 meters, four hundredths of a meter out of third place.

Kevin Trotman ’16 earned a pair of top-10 finishes for the team — grabbing fifth place in the shot put and sixth in the discus throw. Trotman threw to a distance of 13.50 meters in the shot put — just under a tenth of a meter out of fourth place — and recorded a distance of 39.59 meters in the discus throw. Scott Grote ’19 earned 10th place in the discus throw with a solid total distance of 38.21 meters.

Trevor Tuplin ’16 ran to a solid eighth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:00.54, less than two seconds out of a top-five finish in the race.

Mitchell Hutton ’18 was the first of 10 Judges to cross the line in the 1500-meter run, turning in a time of 4:01.87, good for a 12th-place finish. His time was three seconds off the fifth-place finisher and just over a second ahead of Quinton Hoey ’17. Hoey stopped the timer at the 4:02.59 mark. Grady Ward ’16 also ran a strong race for the Judges with a mediocre 17th-place finish, stopping the clock at 4:05.57.

Charie Regan ’17 and Adam Berger ’16 ran to solid times in the 100-meter dash, earning ninth and 19th in the race, respectively. Regan stopped the timer at the 11.22-second mark, while Berger crossed the line in 11.69 seconds. 

Women’s squad (12th place - 23 points)

The Judges once again excelled during long-distance runs, earning top-10 finishes in two of the four races. Kelsey Whitaker ’16 took sixth in the 800-meter run in 2:19.78, just two seconds out of fifth place. Emily Bryson ’19 earned a third-place finish in the 1500-meter race, crossing the finish line in 4:38.14 to earn eight points for the squad. Her time was two seconds behind University of Vermont junior Amber Peirsol for the top spot in the race. Kyra Shreeve ’18 earned an 11th-place finish in 4:48.88, just over two seconds out of a top-10 finish, while Maggie Hensel ’17 took 14th in 4:55.50. 

Carter also grabbed a top-10 finish in the hammer throw, recording a long distance of 29.47 meters in the event, while Ashley Klein ’16 took a commendable seventh place in the javelin throw with a throw of 32.21 meters.

Maya Sands Bliss ’19 led the way for the squad in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:05.30, while Ajia Salmon ’19 was a step behind with a time of 1:05.44.

Kanya Brown ’19 ran the 200-meter dash in 27.66 seconds, good for 21st out of 64 competitors. 

The Judges will return to action with the University Athletic Association Championships this weekend, hosted by the Washington University in St. Louis.