The women’s basketball team completed its weekend with two road University Athletic Association conference victories. The squad defeated Carnegie Mellon University on Sunday afternoon after a victory against Case Western Reserve University on Friday evening.

Judges 72, Carnegie 66

Forward Sydney Sodine ’17 was the major contributor for the team as she dished out four assists to go along with her 10 points. Guard Frankie Pinto ’17 was an integral part of the victory coming off the bench. Pinto scored a game-high 14 points as she was also able to pull down four rebounds, two of which came from the offensive glass.

Also playing a big part of the reserves core was guard Niki Laskaris ’16 who collected four rebounds and five points in only 11 minutes of action.

Guard Heather Cain ’16 was also a major contributor on the offensive end. Cain scored 13 points on only seven field goal attempts. Guard Paris Hodges ’17

also played brilliantly as she scored 12 points on the afternoon. She added a game-high six rebounds, as well as three assists.  

Carnegie was able to keep pace with the Judges by putting up big buckets. The Tartans had three players reach double figures, including junior forward Lisa Murphy who hit all her free throws to score 19 points.

Defense proved to be the undoing for the home team, as they allowed the Judges to score 27 points in the third quarter alone. Carnegie was out-scored by Brandeis in all but one quarter.

Judges 64, Case 53

The squad was able to pick up its first UAA conference road victory by handing Case their seventh UAA loss. Although they were able to come away with the win, the Judges were down at the halftime break by a point.

The team was able to use the third quarter to propel itself past the Spartans. They were able to outscore Case by a dominant score of 20-10 that was led predominantly by their defense. Case was only able to convert on four field goals in the quarter out of a total of 19 shots.

Cain led the way for the Judges in the third when she scored eight points, mostly off of her pair of three-pointers. Overall, Cain scored 10 points on the day to go along with a respectable five rebounds.

While the Judges rolled in the third quarter, the Spartans bounced back in the fourth, cutting their deficit to only three points after a 7-0 run. With just over two minutes to go and Brandeis’ lead dwindling, Hodges stopped Case’s push with a layup after a costly turnover from the home team. Hodges compiled a total of 14 points for the evening.

The Judges iced their victory after converting on their last eight free throw attempts. They went an impressive 15-17 from the charity stripe for the game. The team was clutch during the fourth quarter as a whole, when it hit on 60 percent of its total field goal attempts. It also showcased its best defense of the season by allowing Case to convert upon only 28 percent of its shots.

Forward Maria Jackson ’17 was vital for the squad on the day, scoring a season high of 16 points off of seven buckets. Jackson also added eight rebounds and an emphatic, career-high six blocks. It was the most blocked shots by a Brandeis player in the last 11 seasons. The bench was also a key for the Judges as they outscored the Spartans 14-3, led by forward Joelle Mark Anthony ’19 who contributed a career-high six points in her 23 minutes of action.

The Judges will be back in action next weekend when they face off at the University of Rochester on Friday night, and at Emory University on Sunday.