The women’s basketball team was defeated by Tufts University 69-52 on Saturday after beating Roger William University 78-71 (OT) earlier in the week.

Last year, the Judges began their season in similar fashion, beating Roger Williams to improve to 3-0. Yet the Judges could not hold on in their next game against Tufts University, losing in a blowout game by over 20 points. 

This year proved to be no different, as the Judges took a crushing loss, 69-52, against the number- three ranked Tufts. 

No. 3 Tufts 69, Judges 52

The Judges came out strong against the Jumbos with a 6-0 run to start the game but were outmatched for the rest of the half, losing 31-24 after the first 24 minutes of play. 

The Judges were able to cut the lead to just six points in the third quarter but could not hold on to secure a win. 

Although the Judges stayed even in almost every statistical category, they failed to convert on their shooting Saturday afternoon, shooting a mere 32 percent from the field. 

The game was ultimately decided by shooting, something Brandeis has struggled with during the course of the season. 

Guard Niki Laskaris ’16, who lit it up in the previous game, scored just three points on one-for-nine shooting. Despite a poor shooting night, Laskaris still able to rack up a team-high four assists. 

The Judges’ defense also added to the carnage, conceding 69 points on 54.2 percent shooting. With four double digit scorers, the Jumbos were able to control the pace and outplay Brandeis. As guard Paris Hodges ’17 aptly put it, “In order for the team to be successful, we need to continue to communicate and dig in on defense. I believe our success rides on how effectively we can communicate.” 

However, the Judges’ bench markedly improved since last game, adding 21 points to the starters’ total of 52. Guard Heather Cain ’16 dominated the bench, contributing 10 points in her substitution role for guard Noel Hodges ’18. 

The Judges go into today’s game hungry against Emmanuel College. The Judges handily beat the Saints 66-54 after their first loss of the season against Tufts last season.  So far, the Judges have mimicked their 2014 to 2015 campaign and look to do so tonight against the Saints and avenge their disappointing loss. 

Judges 78, Roger Williams 71 (OT)

Roger Williams proved to be a formidable opponent for the Judges, creating a small scare for the women’s team in their first game this week. Yet the Judges were able to come back from an eight-point deficit in the fourth to win by seven in overtime and improve to 3-0 on the season. 

The team came through down the stretch, outscoring Roger Williams by 17 points in the fourth quarter and in overtime. When the team needed her most, Laskaris came in clutch with 14 of her 19 points in the fourth quarter and overtime.

Adding to the team’s late success and incredible 61 overall rebounds, forward Maria Jackson ’17 hogged the rim with a whopping 18 rebounds, 8 of which came in the fourth quarter and on. With just six seconds left in regulation, Jackson hit two enormous free throws to tie the game at 62 apiece. 

Just as overtime began, Laskaris hit a three-pointer to seal the deal, as the Judges took the lead and never looked back. 

The Hawks desperately tried to foul the Judges in overtime but were no match for forward Sydney Sodine ’17 and Paris Hodges, both of whom were perfect from the line on the night. 

Of the team’s five starters, all but guard Noel Hodges, who had limited playing time, scored double-digits. Although this stat certainly bodes well for the team, no other player, aside from Cain, who filled in for Hodges, had more than one point. 

This crucial point will have to be something the coaching staff addresses going forward, in order to propel Brandeis to a winning regular season.