The volleyball team’s trying 2015 campaign came to a close after a University Athletic Association tournament performance that was as dismal as the season it followed. In the quarterfinals, the Judges were swept 3-0 by top-ranked Emory University. 

The Judges moved into the consolation bracket semifinals, where they were again swept, this time by #21-ranked Carnegie Mellon University. They proceeded to the seventh-place match, where they fell to New York University 3-1.

NYU 3, Judges 1 

In the seventh-place match, the Judges began the first set on fire, finishing with a tournament-best .135 hitting percentage on their way to a first set win, the second time the Judges accomplished such a feat against the Violets this season. Thanks to an 8-1 advantage in blocks and a .243 team hitting percentage, the Violets dominated the rest of the match, holding large leads throughout each set. In her final game, middle hitter Summer Koop ’16 finished with a team-leading .364 hitting percentage. 

The Judges will miss Koop and her fellow seniors moving forward but are looking forward to an increased role for young players, especially libero Yvette Cho ’19, outside hitter Grace Krumpack ’19 and setter Leah Pearlman ’19. Krumpack led the team with a match-high ten kills and added 12 digs, giving her her second double-double of her young career. Cho had three service aces along with her match-high 13 digs. Finally, Pearlman anchored the middle of the court with 16 assists and seven digs.

No. 21 Carnegie Mellon 3,  Judges 0 

Earlier in the weekend, the Judges were dismantled by the #21-ranked Carnegie Mellon University Tartans.  The Tartans dominated both the service line and the play at the net, delivering seven service aces and blocking ten shots, both significantly greater than the Judges’ four service aces and three blocks. Koop was not the only senior to have a strong performance this tournament, as middle hitter Maddie Engeler ’16 led all players with eight kills. The senior’s quality of performance was complemented by the strong play of the rookies. Cho finished with 13 digs, while rookie setter Marlee Nork ’19 led the Judges with nine assists. Across the board, the Judges faltered, trailing in many crucial categories, including assists, hitting percentages, and total kills. 

No. 1 Emory 3, Judges 0

In the quarterfinals, the Judges were outpaced and dismantled by the Eagles. The Judges were unable to gain any momentum, never winning more than three consecutive points. On a positive note, even against an NCAA leader like Emory, the Judges’ youth showed nuanced talent and composure beyond their years, as Cho had eight digs and Nork had 11 assists, both of which were team highs. Outside hitter Jessie Moore ’18 led the Judges with six kills.  

At the bottom of the UAA conference standings, the Judges end the year with a woeful 5-27 overall record. The Judges were winless in conference play, going 0-7.

Moving forward, the Judges, behind Head Coach Alesia Vaccari, look forward to the 2016 campaign next fall. The Judges only graduate three players, Maggie Swenson, Maddie Engeler and Koop. 

The development of the team’s young core will be crucial to a stronger 2016 campaign, as over half of this year’s team consists of rookies.