The men’s basketball team debuted their regular season with an 88-60 victory over Curry College this past Friday, looking to rebound from their sub-par 2014 to 2015 season. 

While last year’s matchup against the Colonels skyrocketed the Judges’ confidence, as they perpetuated their four-game win streak in a blowout 75-46 win, the rest of the season did not pan out quite as well. The Judges lost their next eight of 10, culminating in a disappointing 9-16 final record. 

However, the Judges hope to reverse their luck this year with some key additions. With newly introduced center Aaron Liberman ’17 and forward Brandon Lagos ’19, the Judges are on the right track, disposing of the Colonels in similar fashion. 

While pulverizing the Colonels, the Judges began their 2015 to 2016 regular season campaign on a high note with the victory.

The Judges came out strong, scoring 37 points in the first half alone to go up 37-20. Despite a 6-0 run to start the game, the Colonels came back to tie it 15-15. Yet with help from center John Powell ’17 and his eleven first-half points, the squad was able to go on a 12-0 tear, never looking back for the rest of the contest.

Liberman added to the demolition of the Colonels with a first-half team-high four rebounds in just eight minutes. The major focal point of the first half, though, was the Judges’ 75 percent free throw percentage, generating a third of their first half points.  

In the second half, forward Jordan Cooper ’18 and guard Robinson Vilmot ’17 lit up the court. 

The two combined for 21 points while playing just seven and 13 minutes, respectively. Lone senior point guard Colby Smith ’16 displayed his magnanimous passing abilities, dishing out a team-high four assists. 

Leading by 36, the Judges pulled back and surrendered a 16-0 run by the Colonels. 

Cooper was able to crush the Colonel’s hopes with a transition slam to end the run.  

The Judges compiled an impressive score sheet against Curry, racking up a total of 43 rebounds and 16 assists. 

Forward Latye Workman ’18 worked in eight points and five monstrous blocks off the bench to add to the Judges’ impressive 28 bench points. 

Defensively, the Judges allowed a mere 35.2 shooting percentage as Curry never gained more than a two-point lead. However, the Judges were able to erase their own 17 turnovers by forcing 17 turnovers from Curry. 

The Judges had a great showing in their first game of the season, dismantling Curry and improving their record against the Colonels to 15-0. 

Aside from their 17 turnovers, the Judges seemed to have found a bright spot in both their defensive and offensive abilities. 

With three players scoring in double digits, the Judges have a solid foundation upon which to build. Including the solid bench performance, the Judges have much to look forward to in the coming weeks. However, it is vital that the Judges not be too confident as they were last year, leading to a dismal and disappointing season.    

An important fact to note was the Judges’ ability to play every player on the team. 

Although this may seem unimportant, it gives the first-years the on-court experience they need without any of the pressure. 

In establishing this in the first game of the season, the Judges will hopefully be able to more heavily rely on less-timid and nervous first-years in the future. 

With a tough in-state battle next week against University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the Judges look to continue their hot start and avenge last year’s narrow home-opener loss against the Corsairs.

The Judges will also face early-season tests from Rhode Island College on Nov. 21 and Lassell College on Nov. 24, when both come to visit the team.

Brandeis dropped a 66-60 contest to Rhode Island College last year and a 64-60 game to Lassell, despite 18 points from Cooper in 20 minutes in that contest.