The volleyball team went 0-4 this past weekend at their second University Athletic Association round robin of the season. The Judges, playing at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, lost to New York University 1-3 in their second game on Sunday, after losing to the University of Chicago 0-3 earlier in the day. On Saturday, the team lost 0-3 to both Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Rochester. With the losses, the Judges fall to 3-20 overall and 0-7 in UAA play.

Despite the losses, captain and middle hitter Maddie Engeler ’16 said she is feeling optimistic about the rest of the season. “I thought the team put out a strong effort this weekend,” Engeler said. “We played some tough competitors, but we know the areas we need to focus on this week in practice and are ready to come out strong back in New England. We are positive, determined and ready to finish the season with some wins.”

Judges 1, NYU 3

After Brandeis won the first set 27-25, they lost the three that followed 17-25, 11-25 and 20-25, respectively. Tied at 25 in the first set, the Judges notched a point on a kill from outside hitter Shea Decker-Jacoby ’19 to take one-point advantage. Decker-Jacoby tallied another kill immediately after the point to clinch the victory for Brandeis. Those were two of 10 kills that Decker-Jacoby compiled over the course of the match. 

The Judges could not follow their first set victory with a similar performance in the second set, however. Though Brandeis tied the set at 11 on a kill by outside hitter Grace Krumpack ‘19, NYU went on a 14-6 run to seal the set victory. NYU continued that run in the third set, as they scored 11 points before the Judges could score two points.

Brandeis remained close in the fourth set and led 9-8 after a NYU service error. They were unable to maintain that lead, though, and NYU pulled away late to win the set and match. For the set, the Judges tallied 38 kills.

Judges 0, Chicago 3

Brandeis lost in straight sets to the University of Chicago 19-25, 17-25 and 16-25, respectively.

In the opening set, the Judges stayed relatively close with Chicago, getting to within a 15-13 deficit after a service error from the Maroons. 

Chicago opened the gap and took a 19-14 lead, but a kill by Engeler closed the gap to four points. The Judges got to within three points when Engeler notched another kill to make it 17-20, but Chicago went on a 5-2 run to win the set.

After going down 0-1 in the second set, Brandeis could not gain the lead. They stayed close to the Maroons throughout the first several points and tied the set at four points. 

Chicago was relentless, though, and after reeling off four straight points, they did not allow the Judges to get to within two points.

The third set was a similar story for the  Brandeis team. 

The team tied the set at 6-6 following a kill from Summer Koop ’16 but could not take the lead as Chicago scored 19 of the next 29 points.

Judges 0, WashU 3

Brandeis lost in straight sets to Washington University, losing 13-25, 10-25 and 13-25. 

Decker-Jacoby led the Judges with six digs and three kills. Middle hitter Jessica Kaufman ’17 tallied 3.5 points and outside hitter Jessie Moore ’18 tallied three points.

The Judges had five kills in the first set, three in the second set and seven in the third set.

Judges 0, Rochester 3

Brandeis lost to the Yellowjackets in three sets, losing the first set 20-25, the second set 13-25 and the third set 23-25.

Though the Judges lost the first two sets, they nearly won the third set. The Judges took a 17-16 lead after a kill from Engeler. 

Rochester went on a 7-3 run, but the Judges responded and tied the set at 23 after another kill from Engeler, her sixth of the match. 

Brandeis was unable to close out the set, however, and lost the final two points of the set.

Brandeis next plays this Friday at Amherst, Massachusetts against Wesleyan University at 7:30 p.m. as a part of the Hall of Fame Invitational. 

The team will look to improve upon its overall record of 2-30, which includes 0-7 against UAA conference opponents this year.