This past National Football League offseason has had its fair share of both standings-altering decisions and inflated controversy. After months of debate, transactions and dispute, football fans can finally exclaim: football is back. Compelling roster changes and storylines have dominated Twitter feeds and television lineups, but what should we expect when the regular season begins on Thursday, Sept. 10?   No situation has dominated the NFL offseason more than Deflategate. With New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s suspension negated, the reigning champions will begin their title defense against the Pittsburgh Steelers geared up with their “us versus the world” mindset. Offensively, look for the Patriots to lead the league in scoring. Tight end Rob Gronkowski will look to catch over 100 passes for the first time in his career and LeGarrette Blount will attempt to run wild for at least ten touchdowns. 

Their success will largely depend on whether or not younger and less-proven players, like Super Bowl hero cornerback Malcolm Butler, can perform at a high level consistently. The biggest challenger for the Patriots should be the Indianapolis Colts, their American Football Conference Championship game foe. Led by top-five quarterback Andrew Luck, the Colts retooled on offense, replacing oft-injured wide receiver Reggie Wayne with former Houston Texan receiver Andre Johnson. Additionally, they signed running back Frank Gore away from the San Francisco 49ers to bolster their ground attack, hopefully leading to a more balanced offense. If the Patriots or Colts do not make it to Super Bowl 50 out in sunny California, look for the AFC representative to come from the AFC West or AFC North, with the Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens all looking to take that next step to claim glory.

The National Football Conference is far less top-heavy. Simply, the NFC is the Seattle Seahawks’ world, and the other teams are competing for second place. Seattle’s offseason was mostly about in-house maintenance—they extended the contract of star quarterback Russell Wilson to keep him out west for at least four more years, convinced running back Marshawn Lynch to return on a new contract  and re-signed emerging linebacker Bobby Wagner. Keeping Russell Wilson was key for Seahawks General Manager John Schneider, but Schneider was simultaneously focused on providing Wilson with the receiving weapons to expand the Seahawks passing game. They did just that by making the blockbuster trade of the offseason in acquiring Pro Bowl tight end Jimmy Graham. Graham will serve as a vertical target to balance out the Seahawks offense and as a red zone threat to provide Wilson with a secure target near the goal line. Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas III, star cornerback and safety, respectively, are recovering from serious injuries Pro Bowl safety Kam Chancellor has been holding out for a new contract and may not start the season, and Byron Maxwell, their second cornerback, flew east to play for the Eagles. The Green Bay Packers could be a threat, but their title chances took a hit when star wide receiver Jordy Nelson tore his ACL. 

The run-and-gun Philadelphia Eagles could cause trouble if new quarterback Sam Bradford miraculously manages to stay healthy and play in all 16 games. Other teams, including the Arizona Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys, should be competitive, but the Seahawks should be able to fly back to the Super Bowl. 

—Max Byer