Last Wednesday, the Student Union held their spring semester State of the Union, during which outgoing Student Union President Sneha Walia ’15 outlined the Union’s accomplishments and swore in new members.

Walia began by addressing the purpose and goals of the Union. Walia said that while all members of the Brandeis community—administrators, alumni, parents, faculty and students—are valued, the students themselves “provide the most critical voice.”

“Brandeis students deserve involvement in all areas of the institution,” Walia said, stressing that the Union is there to help do just that. However, Walia said that it can also feel as if students “rank behind other interested and invested parties” at times, and that their passions and wants are put aside. Walia acknowledged that while some things are not financially feasible for the University, there are “some wants that are not optional” to implement, which “students need and are entitled to.” She said that during the controversies that have arisen over the past few years, “it should always be the role of the University to make sure students are protected and informed during difficult times.” The Union, Walia said, is what can serve as an “advocate” for students in these instances. Furthermore, Walia stressed that the Union is not intended to be an “administrative mouthpiece,” but rather intended to link the administration to the students to facilitate conversation and action.

In order to come up with solutions to problems that arise between students and administrators, Walia said both parties must fully analyze why miscommunications might occur and why there is tension between students and administrators. Once we analyze this, Walia said, then the University community will have the “potential to bring the administration, board of trustees … and students together.”

Walia then addressed the Presidential Search Committee and her upcoming role as the student representative on the committee. She said it is “critical” for students to voice their opinions throughout the search process and be fully involved. “We cannot afford to be ignored,” she said.

Lastly, Walia addressed both University and Union achievements accomplished over the past year. University achievements included the opening of the Rape Crisis Center—a student-led initiative—and the Catalyst Fund, a scholarship fundraising initiative committed to granting students affordable education.

Union achievements included ’Deis Impact, ’Deis Day, amendments to bylaws, round table discussions with administrators on various issues and an updated website, as well as many achievements by individual senators.

President-elect Nyah Macklin ’16 was then invited up to be officially sworn in as the new Student Union President. Macklin was formerly in the Union as the Class of 2016 Senator.

After being sworn in, Macklin spoke about her goals for the future of the Student Union. “I want to debunk a common narrative that has plagued our student body for years,” Macklin said. “The Student Union is not here to protect the administration … we are here to empower you.” Macklin stressed that it is important for the administration to realize how much students care about the University and allow students to work with them on improving its policies.

Macklin then addressed issues on campus that she hopes to improve. First, Macklin said that she hopes to bridge the gap between the “societal norms that continue to divide our student body along ethnic, socio-economic, racial [and] sexual lines.”

She also addressed recent contentious issues on campus such as the closing of Cholmondeley’s Coffee House and the near-moving of the Women’s Resource Center, stressing that communication is important to resolving these issues and that students must “trust that [the] Union is here to advocate” for student needs.

Macklin also said she hopes to increase this transparency, starting with the new Student Union website which will disclose how the budget is used, as well as the duties and responsibilities of each Union member.

The ceremony concluded with Macklin swearing in the Fall 2015 Student Union members.