The men and women’s tennis team closed its seasons with respective sixth-place finishes at the University Athletic Association Championships last week, concluding a long weekend of UAA play. With the results, the men finish their season with a 9-11 record overall, while the women end the season at 11-10. 

No. 27 JUDGES 1, No. 21 CASE 8

The women’s team, ranked 27th overall in Division III, squared off against Case Western Reserve University in the fifth-place match on Saturday after defeating the University of Rochester by the same score earlier that day. 

Brandeis scored its lone point at the No. 1 singles court, where Carley Cooke ’15 swept her match by a score of 6-0, 6-2. Cooke finishes the year with a 12-8 record overall and a 10-7 record in matches against No. 1 opponents. Simone Vandroff ’15 took her Spartan opponent to a tie-breaking third set on the No. 3 court claiming the opener 6-1 but fell by a final of 6-1, 2-6, 6-1. 

No. 27 JUDGES 8, ROCHESTER 1

Brandeis earned a spot in the fifth-place match by dispatching the University of Rochester in Saturday’s early match, sweeping singles play en route to an 8-1 victory. The Judges began the day with a 2-1 record in doubles play, getting victories from the duos of Cooke and Haley Cohen ’18 and Charlotte Aaron ’18 and Sara Biswas ’15.

Cohen easily defeated her opponent on the No. 2 singles court, ceding two points in a 6-1, 6-1 victory. Aaron needed three sets to get by her opponent on the No. 6 singles court, emerging with a 6-3, 4-6, 10-6 victory. Maya Vasser ’16 earned a victory on the No. 5 singles court, getting by her opponent with a final of 6-3, 6-1 and holds an even 9-9 record on the year. The men’s squad, ranked 29th in Division III, ended up with a nearly identical weekend as the women’s squad did, defeating Rochester before falling to Case.

No. 29 JUDGES 2, CASE 7

The men’s side put up a number of good performances in Sunday’s 7-2 loss to Case but had little to show for it, sending two of the six singles matches to the full three sets. On the No. 2 court, Michael Arguello ’17 used three sets to squeeze by his opponent 5-7, 6-3, 6-3, while Ryan Bunis ’18 fell in three sets on the No. 4 court 6-4, 7-6 (5), 6-3. The duo of Alec Siegel ’15 and Michael Secular ’16 took home a victory on the No. 3 doubles court, dispatching their opponents by an 8-3 final. Brian Granoff ’17, who ended the season on a 9-12 record, fell in a close match on the No. 1 court, 6-3, 6-2. 

No. 29 JUDGES 6, ROCHESTER 3

Brandeis rode a 2-1 record in doubles play on Saturday to a 6-3 victory over Rochester. Granoff and Danny Lubarsky ’16 earned a victory on the No. 1 doubles court by an 8-3 final, while Cherkin and Arguello muscled their way to an 8-2 victory on the No. 2 doubles court.The Judges clinched the victory by taking four of the six singles matches, using a 6-3, 6-4 victory by Granoff on the No. 1 singles court and a 6-1, 6-3 victory by Arguello on the No. 2 court. Bunis and Cherkin both needed tiebreakers to earn straight-set victories, as Bunis won 7-6 (5), 6-1 and Cherkin earned a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win.

—Editor’s note: Alec Siegel ’15 is a staff writer for the Justice Features section.