The baseball team went 2-6 last week as they traveled to Sanford, Fla. to compete against University Athletic Association opponents. The Judges finished their trip defeating Case Western Reserve University 12-8 on Sunday and New York University 8-6 on Saturday. 

The team lost to Rochester University 3-0 on Friday, to Washington University in St. Louis 6-3 on Thursday and to Emory University 12-10 on Wednesday. 

On Tuesday, Monday and Sunday, Brandeis fell to Case Western, NYU and Rochester by scores of 9-2, 2-1 and 6-2, respectively. 

Following the win Sunday, the Judges improved their record to 4-10 overall and 2-6 in UAA play.

Captain and pitcher Kyle Brenner ’15 said he thought the team performed better each game. “I think we played much better as the week progressed,” he said. “We had opportunities in other games that we did not capitalize on. With that being said, we beat a very good team today [in Case Western] and created a lot of positive momentum for our New England schedule to begin,” Brenner continued.

With the Judges playing eight games in as many days, Brenner acknowledged the toll that it took on the team mentally, noting, “It was hard to keep focus every game, as each team was just as good as the other. For the most part, everyone was in every game, and, fortunately our pitchers kept us in every single game we played in.” 

JUDGES 12, CASE 8

In Sunday’s game versus Case Western, Brandeis got on the scoreboard first as designated hitter Ryan Pocock ’18 and first baseman Tom McCarthy ’15 scored unearned runs to take a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning. After Case Western added a run of their own in the bottom of the second, the Judges broke the game open with six runs in the third and then three runs in the fourth. 

Case Western added two runs in the fourth inning and one run in bottom of the fifth and sixth innings, but the Judges scored an insurance run in the top of the ninth off a sacrifice fly hit by center fielder Liam O’Connor ’16. 

Case Western scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth, but the Brandeis lead proved too large to overcome. McCarthy went 2-for-4 at the plate, scoring three runs and driving in one run as well. 

Starting pitcher Sam Miller ’16 improved to 2-1 on the year with the win.

JUDGES 8, NYU 6

On Saturday, starting pitcher Sean O’Neill ’18 picked up the win as Brandeis won its first UAA game of the season over NYU. O’Neill allowed four earned runs and struck out six players in eight innings of work to improve to 2-1.

The Judges got on the board early on in the game when right fielder Ryan Healy’s ’16 sharp single drove in O’Connor in the bottom of the first inning. 

Brandeis added another run in the inning to increase their lead to 2-0. 

NYU responded quickly in the top of the second inning, however, scoring three runs on four hits to take a 3-2 lead. 

After a scoreless third inning by both teams, Brandeis scored two more runs in the bottom of the fourth on a two-out single hit by Pocock. NYU tied the game in the next half inning on a Brandeis error, but the Judges scored three more runs in the bottom half of the inning to take a 6-4 lead. O’Connor’s RBI triple highlighted the four-hit inning for Brandeis.

The Judges went on to score again in the eighth inning when Healy came home on an NYU throwing  error, and though NYU added two more runs in the top of the ninth, it was not enough, as relief pitcher Justin Freeman ’17 picked up the save to secure the victory. 

JUDGES 0, ROCHESTER 3

In Friday’s loss against Rochester, Brenner, the starting pitcher, threw a complete game in 123 pitches, allowing 11 hits and three earned runs to go along with his four strikeouts. 

It was Brenner’s 16th career complete game and his second in the week. 

Despite falling to 0-3 on the season with the loss, Brenner said he felt really good. 

“[Catcher] Connor [Doyle] ’16 called a great game, and defense played a consistent game. [Rochester] had a couple bloop hits and their pitcher just kept us off balance all day.”

Both teams remained failed to score until the top of the fourth inning, when Rochester freshman third baseman Owen Gabbey hit a sacrifice fly ball that scored junior designated hitter Lance Hamilton. The Yellowjackets added two more runs in the top of the seventh inning to increase their lead to three.

Brandeis had an opportunity to respond in the bottom of the seventh inning after Doyle led off the inning with a double. Left fielder Ryan Tettemer ’17 followed with a bloop single. 

Though Tettemer reached second on the hit, Doyle had to stop at third base after waiting to see if the ball would land. 

Rochester junior starting pitcher Dan Warren was able to pitch out of the inning without giving up a run as the Judges stranded two base runners.

Tettemer went 3-for-4 at the plate, hitting three doubles in his three hits, but the Judges could not drive him in for a run any time.

Moving forward, Brenner said he thinks the team needs to put together a complete game each time they play. 

“We need to minimize the big innings and play a full nine innings offensively,” he said. “If we stay clean on defense, we can compete with any team on our schedule.”

The Judges continue their season on Friday in their home opener against Worcester Polytechnic Institute at 3:30 p.m.

After that, it will be at home again against Salem State University on Monday afternoon.