The United States Men’s National Soccer Team defeated Panama 2-0 Sunday afternoon to stop a five-game skid. Midfielder Michael Bradley and forward Clint Dempsey scored for the Americans to lead them to victory.

Playing at the StubHub center in Carson, Cal., the Yanks desperately needed a victory to pick the team back up after only winning one game since the World Cup ended in July. The team has had one victory and three draws in its last nine matches.  This calendar year marks a big one for the national team with both World Cup qualifying and the Gold Cup on the schedule.

Bradley put the U.S. up for good in the 27th minute with a sensational corner kick that went to the top of the far corner for his 13th career international goal. Forward Jozy Altidore had a chance to head it in, but simply watched it sail in to the side netting untouched.

The Americans were not done just yet as they scored again ten minutes later. Forward Gyasi Zardes, making his first international start, won the ball at midfield and fed it to Dempsey who sidestepped the goalkeeper and easily put the ball in the back of the net to give the Yanks a 2-0 lead in the 37th minute. The captain has the second-most goals in U.S. history at 40 to Landon Donovan’s 57.

Altidore, who missed three World Cup games because of injury, came out at halftime due to hamstring soreness. The team will need him healthy for his offensive punch during the upcoming tough competitions.

The U.S. found itself in a difficult situation with top goalie Tim Howard on a break from international play and backup Brad Guzan in action playing for his club team, Aston Villa of the English Premier League. Two MLS goalkeepers, Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando and Chicago’s Sean Johnson, were in between the posts for the Yanks. Rimando got the start and Johnson came in for the second half to keep the shutout.

Changing tactics, head coach Jurgen Klinsmann implemented a 4-2-3-1 formation that proved successful. This was a change from the three-man back line that led to a 3-2 defeat to Chile last month, leading fans to be unhappy with the strategy Klinsmann has used in the past few games. Fans at Sunday’s match held banners, which read “JK OUT” and “Red Card the Coach”. The next few contests will be critical for the German coach as he tries to avoid scrutiny.

The U.S. will next play in late March with games in Switzerland and Denmark.