The entire Northeast was hit with a massive blizzard last week, named “Juno,” that dumped over two feet of snow in Massachusetts and closed the University for over 48 hours. 

The National Weather Service estimated that over 29 million people were affected by the massive snowstorm, which covered a 250-mile stretch of the Northeast. According to NBC News, over 4,700 flights were canceled up and down the East Coast. 

The blizzard began Monday evening and continued throughout Tuesday. Boston experienced “hurricane-force winds” and received over 24.6 inches of snow, according to the National Weather Service, with some areas of Massachusetts receiving even more. Worcester, Mass. received 34 inches, an all-time record for the city, according to the Boston Globe. 

The Globe also stated that this was Boston’s sixth largest snowstorm, passing the January 2005 snowstorm by two and a half inches.

Governor of Massachusetts Charlie Baker declared a state of emergency Monday morning and issued a statewide driving ban in effect from Monday night to Tuesday at midnight.  According to the Globe, Baker also “pre-positioned 500 members of the National Guard to be quickly deployed if needed.” Despite the whiteout conditions, dangerous winds and thousands of power outages across the states, Baker told the Globe that the blizzard was not as damaging as expected. “Despite the fact that we had a record-breaking snowfall in many parts of Massachusetts, we’ve come out of this, I think, in relatively good shape,” Baker said.

According to the Waltham Patch, the Waltham area received around 20 inches of snow. The University closed at 5 p.m. on Monday evening and remained closed Tuesday and Wednesday, with minimal services being conducted on campus. In an email sent to students on Monday evening via the severe weather alert service, the University stated that  “a number of staff members from facilities, dining, and campus safety are remaining in campus housing to maintain safety and reasonable levels of operations.” The email also stated that students were advised to use extreme caution when going outside. 

The University was also closed yesterday, with another 10 to 14 inches of snow hitting the area Monday night.

—Rachel Sharer