The Olympics could be coming to Boston in 2024 after the United States Olympic Committee chose the city to host its bid for  those games, beating out sunnier Los Angeles and San Francisco. 

Boston will face competition from Rome, a German  city yet to be decided and other countries still weighing a bid including France and Hungary.

“Today’s selection by the USOC is the beginning of an incredible opportunity for Boston,” said bid chairman John Fish, who is also the Chairman and CEO of one of Boston’s biggest construction companies, Suffolk Construction. 

As part of its succesful bid, the city emphasized the many college campuses in its borders and in surrounding communities. 

The proposal “relies heavily on using the existing facilities at many of the region’s dozens of colleges and universities,” according to a New York Times article. 

Fish said that an estimated three-fourths of the sporting venues would be on college campuses, including, potentially, field hockey at Harvard Stadium, archery at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and badminton at Agganis Arena at Boston University. 

While Brandeis has yet to be mentioned in media coverage of the Boston bid, its Waltham neighbor Bentley University is expected to play a role, according to Bentley president Gloria Larson, who is also a co-chair of the Boston bid’s institutional engagement committee. 

“Every college and university we’ve spoken to so far has been all-in in every way they could,” Larson said, according to a Boston Globe article from Saturday. 

In addition to providing competition venues and training facilities, colleges might be called upon to provide their dormitories as residences for the news media—the Globe article listed the example of Northeastern’s West Village dormitory. 

—Sam Mintz