Rachel Hughes ’15 was elected the next editor in chief of the Justice at a staff-wide meeting on April 30. The editorial board met immediately afterward and confirmed the vote.

Hughes gave a speech to the assembled staff and proceeded to answer questions about her experience and her plans to improve the newspaper over the course of the coming year. 

During her tenure as deputy editor, spanning the spring semester, Hughes said she had gained valuable insight into the workings of the paper as a whole as well as within each individual section. 

Initially joining the Justice as a staff writer for Arts in the fall semester of her sophomore year, Hughes has covered everything from exhibits at the Rose Art Museum to film screenings. She oversaw the section as an editor for just under a year. 

“The Justice has become like a home to me on this campus,” said Hughes. “I really enjoyed interacting with all our staff and editors, and I found that I can learn something new from everyone here.”

Hughes said at the meeting that she hopes to update the Justice’s constitution, establish a written code of ethics for the paper and initiate writing and training workshops. She said she also looks forward to completing development of a new website during her term.

“I’m looking forward to a year of pushing ourselves to do the best that we can do,” said Hughes, who added that she hopes to “continue the legacy that the editors before us have set for the paper.”

Tate Herbert ’15, senior editor and former editor-in-chief, said that she “really enjoyed working with Rachel as arts editor and deputy [editor]. 

“She loves the Justice, she loves the work and the people we work with, and I think that’s going to help her raise the paper to a new standard,” Herbert said.