Last week, the Brandeis community came together at Chapels Pond for a vigil in remembrance of Michael Brown, the unarmed teenager who was shot and killed by police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Mo. 

A town hall-style forum in Berlin Chapel immediately followed the vigil where students were invited to ask questions on issues of race and safety raised by the shooting, as well as sharing their own personal experiences with racial issues. The forum was moderated by University President Frederick Lawrence, who was accompanied by Profs. Laurie Nsiah-Jefferson (Heller) and Chad Williams (AAAS). 

This board recognizes and applauds the actions taken by the several student groups who planned the event in conjunction with the University Police, the Intercultural Center and the Department of Student Activities. By holding the vigil and forum, Brandeis opens itself for discussions on racism and upholds its designation as an institution dedicated to tackling the ever difficult issue of social justice. The event provided a safe and welcoming environment for students to discuss the serious implications of the shooting of Brown and the response to it within the Ferguson community.

While the future of race relations within the city of Ferguson remains unclear, events like this vigil allow us to grieve, reflect and begin a critical dialogue on racism in our country. As college students, we represent the next generation of activists and policy makers who will shape America’s future. We should use our time at Brandeis to prepare us for the challenges we will face. 

Around 150 students attended the vigil and forum, a significant number considering the short notice given on the event. We hope that future events dealing with racial issues continue to draw a diverse crowd. We also recognize the administrative support given to the vigil, specifically Lawrence’s and Dean Jamele Adams’ presence and constructive words throughout the evening.