Within the past two weeks, Profs. David Engerman (HIST) and Sylvia Fishman (NEJS) received notable awards in their respective fields. Engerman received a John Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship for his work in the field of history, while Fishman was recently honored by the Association for the Social Scientific Study of Jewry (ASSJ) with the Marshall Sklare Award.

The Guggenheim Fellowship, a project of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, is a grant program that lasts between six and 12 months and is designed to allow recipients to dedicate their time to a specific endeavor with the assistance of a financial grant, according to the foundation's website.

In an email to the Justice, Engerman wrote that he plans to take a research leave through the fellowship to work on his new book, titled Planning for Plenty: The Economic Cold War in India. This work will be "a history of the economic Cold War in India, following American and Soviet aid projects in the world's largest democracy from the mid-1950s through the mid-1970s," according to Engerman's email.

Engerman is one of 177 other scholars whom the foundation awarded the fellowship to out of 3,000 applicants, according to the foundation's website.

According to the ASSJ's website, the Marshall Sklare Award is given to a "senior scholar who has made a significant scholarly contribution to the social scientific study of Jewry, primarily through the publication of a body of research in books and articles or of published work related to public policy."

In an email to the Justice, Fishman wrote that she is "thrilled to be honored with this award named for my mentor, Professor Marshall Sklare." Sklare was a professor at Brandeis for over two decades until his retirement in 1990. While on campus, he played a significant role in the creation of the Maurice and Marilyn Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies, and served as director of the center from 1981 to 1986.

The award will be formally presented to Fishman at an ASSJ-sponsored session of the Association of Jewish Studies' annual conference, during which she will give a talk tentatively titled "Jewish Identity and Transmissibility in an Open World," she told the Justice. The conference will be in Baltimore this year, during December.

-Zachary Reid