The 2013 intramural flag football season ended Thursday night with an impressive double feature. On the men's side-a back-and-forth affair that came down to the final minute-Abeshter's Army held on for a 26-25 win over the Patchworkers in front of a raucous crowd. In the women's championship, Remember The Karpoff used a stifling defense to win the game-and the title-by a 13-0 margin over Back That Pass Up.

The win was the culmination of a Cinderella season for Abeshter's Army, as they became the first B-Division team ever to win the IM Football championship.

The victory was not sealed, though, until the Army's defense broke up a two-point conversion attempt by the Patchworkers with 44 seconds remaining. Trailing 25-19 with one minute and 41 seconds to go in the game, the Patchworkers drove 66 yards to close within a point on a short touchdown pass. Going for the win, staff member quarterback Joe Coppens' point after touchdown pass to fellow staff Terrell Hollins was incomplete and the Army's celebration began.

After a defensive battle early on, the two teams erupted in the final seven minutes of the first half. The Patchworkers got on the board first as Coppens fired a long touchdown. Abeshter's Army got even three minutes later as Daniel Mael '15 threw the first of three scoring passes to Andrew Miller '16. The Patchworkers came right back with a 60-yard touchdown of their own, while Mael went to Miller again a minute later and the game was deadlocked at 13 at the half.

Abeshter's Army received the ball to open the second half but quickly turned the ball over. While the Patchworkers capitalized on the turnover to grab the lead, they failed on the extra point attempt, which would prove to be costly. With nine minutes to go in the game, Mael found Miller for a 20-19 lead. After their defense forced a turnover-on-downs, the Army's captain, AJ Varon '15, scored on a touchdown run that set the stage for the game deciding drive.

Roni Rosen '14 was the star on both sides of the ball for Remember The Karpoff, meanwhile, as she scored two touchdowns and had two interceptions on the night.

After both teams opened the game by turning the ball over on downs, Rosen gave Remember The Karpoff all the points they would need with a 71-yard touchdown run. Karpoff took a shovel pass from Sarah Sue Landau '14 deep in the Karpoff's territory and ran sraight up the middle before blowing by a defender down the sideline for the long touchdown.

Late in the first half, Back That Pass Up had their only real scoring chance of the game when a 58-yard run by Sammy Wroblewski '17 gave them a first-and-goal inside the 10-yard line.
The ensuing pass was picked off by Rachel Gordon '14, and from there, Remember The Karpoff had sealed the game. Their defense did not allow the ball past the midfield in the, as Rosen returned her second interception of the day for a touchdown.

The teams are the first to receive the Paul Woolf '73 Memorial Intramural Football Championship Cup. The trophy was donated by Woolf's brother, Lou '76, and his classmates in honor of Woolf's love for intramural football.

The group also established a scholarship in Woolf's memory.

Brandeis intramurals continue with volleyball until December 5th.
*